Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please help me!    

Please help me!

Hanni9
Vietnam

Please help me!

Help me with this sentences
" Is this your teacher? "- Yes, it is or Yes, he is.
Thanks

5 Jan 2011      

santita.ta
Thailand

ํYes,he/ she is.

5 Jan 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

I think the correct answer is "Yes, it is". The subject is impersonal (this), not a man or woman.

5 Jan 2011     

Zsuzsapszi
Hungary

I agree with pilarmham. So the answer is "Yes, it is."

5 Jan 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I have never seen a reply to such a question with "it", since it �s clear that the question omits either "this man" or "this woman" in the sentence. And since in a conversation you can see if the person is a woman or a man you can answer with he or she.

BTW... I may be wrong, I just have never seen it being used like that, maybe someone else can say for sure if "it is" is accepted as well.

5 Jan 2011     

juliag
Japan

Definitely "Yes, it is." Pilarmham �s explanation is spot on. It �s because "this" is the subject and "this" is referred to as "it," not "he" or "she."

5 Jan 2011     

suhakhader
Jordan

I agree with my colleagues who say:"Yes,it is". Exactly as Juliag said, the subject is "This".

5 Jan 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

I would find it a little disturbing to answer the question "Is this your brother?" With "Yes it is."  I don �t know maybe it �s me.

5 Jan 2011     

suhakhader
Jordan

What �s the appropriate answer then?

5 Jan 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Actually, I was searching the internet and what I found is that �this � is substituting the pronoun he or she in the sentence, therefore, the right choice would be using those pronouns in the answer.

You wouldn �t ask the question "Is it your teacher?", I see no reason to answer with "it".

Maybe there is some sort of explanation for "it is" being accepted, if someone has seen it written on a book or something, but it �s definitely not the obvious and common way to go.

5 Jan 2011     

Janet att
Malta

The answer is : Yes he/she is as we never refer to a person as �it �. We use �it � for animals

/ things. Hope this helps!

5 Jan 2011     

1    2    Next >