Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > tag questions    

tag questions

domnitza
Romania

tag questions

Dear all,

I am having some problems trying to solve the following tag:
He can go, can�t he? (that� a simple one)
what about HE MAY GO, .......?
What tag should be here? I suppose <may he not> is not correct, since the negation must be a part of the auxiliary, like mustn�t, can�t, shouldn�t or aren�t.
waiting for your reply.

9 Dec 2008      

mena22
Portugal

According to Michael Swan, Mightn�t is the contraction for might not.  He also says sth about may: "May not is not normally contracted:  mayn�t is very rare." So does that mean we shoud say... may he not?

9 Dec 2008     

nebo_Londona
Russian Federation

Why may he not? According to the rules it should be  MAY NOT HE? Tell me if I am wrong

9 Dec 2008     

mena22
Portugal

According to Michael Swan, Uncontracted negative questions  follow this word order: (auxiliary) Verb + subject + not. Example: Does she not understand? / Why have you not booked your holidays yet?

9 Dec 2008     

nebo_Londona
Russian Federation

aha clear thank you)))but it happens only with long forms, does it not?))))In the case of short forms all remains the same I mean doesn�t she , haven�t we etc. Am I right now?))

9 Dec 2008     

domnitza
Romania

Yes, Mena, but we are speaking about tags.
It is the correct way to say: Does she not understand?, but with a tag structure it changes:
She understands, doesn�t she?
We have seen him, haven�t we?
My question is if you have ever met a tag with mayn�t (it sound so strange!).
What should we do, after all? Avoid giving this kind of sentences?

ps: let�s "clear" the main page of the forum and have a grammar debate instead! LOL

9 Dec 2008     

domnitza
Romania

Dear nebo,

you have jsu used a tag! But look!
it happens only with long forms, does it not?)))) DOESN�T IT, I would say. You hace a Present Simple (happens), IT as subject, so your tag should be: doesn�t it?
When you have a sentence you can use the order: auxiliary + subject + negative + verb" Does she not understand that we have to go?

9 Dec 2008     

mena22
Portugal

Nebo, you�re right now. Smile Contracted forms follow the general rule.
Well Domnitza, let�s hope other teachers help us solve this one... The general rule for tags is to use contracted forms. Uncontracted forms are  too formal. For example: "They promised to repay us within 6 months, did they not?"  -- formal language. So, according to this author, uncontracted forms in question tags are possible in formal speech. But your sentence is not formal. So should we use that "Rare form" Mayn�t he? or "May he not"? Which one?

9 Dec 2008     

domnitza
Romania

my mistakes: JUST, HAVE. Sorry!
I have never seen or came accross MAYN�T/MAY HE NOT in tags. Perhaps they are not used when dealing with tag questions.

9 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

Interesting question,

I think in this situation it would be more natural to say:�

He�s going, isn�t he?

I wouldn�t ask for uncertain confirmation because I wouldn�t be confirming anything.

He may go. (I�m not sure he�s going)
mightn�t he? (can you confirm that you are not sure he�s going)

It doesn�t really make sense.

He is going. (I�m sure he�s going)
isn�t he? (can you confirm that he is going)

Sounds much better.

9 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

My thoughts:

"He may go"
It sounds very odd to say "Mayn�t he?"

The use of the word may is a very formal way of speaking.
I think that tag questions are only used in an informal manner.
I can not imagine a professor or the queen qualifying a statment with a tag question.
This is how I tell the difference between formal and informal language <Grammar according to me LOL>

He May go - has 2 meanings depending on context. 
He may go - He is allowed to go - giving permission.  You can use "He is allowed to go, isn�t he?"
He may go - He might go - suggesting possibility.  I wouldn�t change either of these to a tag question because you have already stated that you are not sure  - so to add a tag question would be repeating yourself.

9 Dec 2008     

1    2    Next >