Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Guess I am becoming a crotchy old man at 40     

Guess I am becoming a crotchy old man at 40

roneydirt
United States

Guess I am becoming a crotchy old man at 40

Guess I am becoming a crotchy old man and I am only 40. 

I see post not asking for additional material but asking to give material.  I wonder did they even try to do a first step and Google, look on this site, look at other search engines before posting?

I see ws and PowerPoint�s with basic words misspelled.  Got told I am not supposed to tell people to check their spelling.

I see lessons posted with only pictures.  Where is the ESL material?  Where are the instructions for what it is supposed to be used for?

Was told I was wrong because I said we should refrain from adding our Religion, politics and social views in our lessons because it will change the student�s beliefs to ours.  That the student should grow into their own beliefs.  Then wonder why when there is a revolution one of the first groups sent to re-education camps are teachers.  (There were a couple lessons where in the lesson the teacher posted �may [Allah/God] be praised� or a political ad for a certain politician or political group and worst about how horrible another country was for their beliefs.  I feel none of this is appropriate in the classroom.)

So if it is wrong for me to try to hold fellow teachers and myself to a higher plane, then I am wrong.

17 Feb 2011      

dani385
Japan

I agree!

I guess I �m a grumpy old man at 28!

17 Feb 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Dear Roney.... I was tempted not to respond, because I am totally in the same club you are (maybe grouchy old lady!) And also, because, I have the same feeling of impotence you feel towards some of the issues you mentioned. I have seen, during the almost 2 years I �ve been a member of this wonderful site, that sometimes some members can express, criticize, sometimes even insult, be rude, and....... it �s OK. (don �t know if it has to do with the seniority or the great worksheets they produce, and sometimes another less notable member attempts to do the same (express, comment, etc, etc, etc) and immediately is silenced by a bombardment of sharp remarks. Anyway... I will take my chances! and run for cover!LOL

I agree with you Roney, as I mentioned in a previous post. CONTENT is the most important part in a worksheet, as this site was created (I think) to help us teachers IMPROVE in our everyday teaching, giving us tools to make our work EASIER. So, if we as teachers do not put seriousness in the ws we upload, and as you say, such basic mistakes are overlooked and must not be mentioned, are we really helping these members improve? It might be a beautiful worksheet art-wise, but how about content-wise, or mistake-wise. PLEASE DON �T MISINTERPRET ME... as I said, I appreciate ALL the beautiful work here, but cannot agree on overlooking mistakes.

There was also a short while ago controversy to whether the games (WOD & CAPTION - which were brought up to vote here as to implement the games or not) were taking up too much forum space and not given seriousness to the "desperate calls for help". But then again, another member just out of the blue, starts a new identical game, and NO ONE had an objection.
During these past days, I �ve visited the forum, and seen that the majority of the posts asking for help, even go without a thank you from the person posted.

I also agree with you, that religion or politics should not be included in our worksheets, as obviously it reflects the beliefs and preferences of the person who made this worksheet. Yes, I know that controversial topics engage students in free discussions that are good for speaking, but also, as you say, Roney, it also calls for speculation, and also calls for resentment, as you say, sometimes there are problems between some countries, and that shouldn �t be brought in the classroom. Here, in ESLP we are all (or at least I feel it this way) a great big family despite our country, despite our beliefs. But kids don �t  have the same maturity, they see and hear what goes on in the news, newspapers, etc, and would not understand if I bring to my classroom a ws with political issues about a country which has been negative to our own.

Yes, I know, I know, I know! you will say, well, just don �t download it! But, as I �ve said, if the main focus of that worksheet was the content I needed or was looking for, that is the reason I download it, but I �d have to take away the religous or politics on it. Why not just have our work be of general culture.

Anyway, Roney, I think I am also wrong.

Hugs to all!!

Mar

17 Feb 2011     

teachertonyinchina
China

Hi Roney, I totally agree with the points you made. As all worksheets are in office is it too difficult to use the spellchecker?  Also In my opinion all worksheets should be totally edible then teachers can slightly change them to suit their lesson.

I also think all religion should be kept away from this site, including members wishing each other a happy religious day on the main page. I would rather be able to read other members questions and advice rather than see the main page covered in messages wishing other members happy this and that.

Tony.

PS. I think teacher spent more of there time making sure there grammer and spilling is write and not waist ours time.  

17 Feb 2011     

FunWithWords
India

Hi Teacher Tony,

>PS. I think teacher spent more of there time making sure there grammer and spilling is write and not waist ours time. 

I bat that was don on porpoise.

ROTFL  LOL

17 Feb 2011     

nikabike
Vietnam

I had never written here before.
I always try to do my best.
If someone sees a mistake in my ws, please let me know.

Thank you.

17 Feb 2011     

douglas
United States

I am responsible for I what I bring into my classroom.  If I download worksheets with mistakes and am too lazy (sorry, busy) to preread and correct them then I deserve the embarassment.  For some beginning  teachers (the ones that most need these worksheets) it is very difficult to create worksheets without mistakes--I hope grammar policing doesn �t  scare them into giving up and not trying at all.

As for political/controversial content, for my upper level groups these types of worksheets are exactly what I look for.  I have my students read them and then ask questions to see if they even noticed the "subliminal" or biased content--this is a higher level of reading comprehension that some of my students need and appreciate.

Now don �t get me wrong Roney, some of the mistakes I find to be rather ridiculous and nerve-wracking, but if I censor them I may be censoring hte other groups.  I also agree that quite often the personal beliefs are taken too far, but to censor them again censors the other worksheets that I need.

I have seen a few people here that started out posting with extreme grammar mistakes and have improved immensely--that I find encouraging.  I feel a private (friendly!) message tends to help the best.

Douglas
PS- I am a little short for time, so sorry about the few grammar mistakes in this post.

17 Feb 2011     

s.lefevre
Brazil

It �s funny, I was about to post something similar today when a saw your post. I agree totally with you. I �d like to add something about teaching material. Every day we have lots of irregular verbs lists. I know they are allowed, I just don �t see why. In my opinion, they are always taken from a website or scanned, it �s just impossible to prove it as all sites which teach grammar have one. Even if they were not, I can �t see any original work. We have tons of lists, all the same because irregular verbs don �t change trough time. What do you think?

17 Feb 2011     

ELOJOLIE274
France

I �m a grumpy silly 30 year old teacher...

I say "grumpy" because I hate it when I answer a post (to help or simply to give advice...) and I get no "thank you" in return - and yet i �m "silly" because I usually come back the next day to check the person �s post and see if my answer helped - even though I �m only disappointed to see that s/he asked for help and didn �t even bother to thank the people who helped him/her...

i �m grumpry because  i �m upset when I see a ws with so many mistakes that it is totally useless for me or my pupils - and yet i �m silly because I hope that the member who created such a ws will realize his/her mistake and do better next time... shouldn �t we be able to report ws full of mistakes??? maybe freeze them for a day until the author has had time to correct most of his/her mistakes...

yesterday I found a nice ws in the new contributions - it had not been downloaded so far and the member didn �t have many points so I decided to have a look at his contributions to see if there was anything else I liked... and how disappointed - and grumpy - I became when I realized most of his ws were actually the  same ws uploaded several times... and yet silly me I left him a message saying how disappointed I was in the hope that he will understand why I reported his ws...

so i �m a grumpy dreamer.... will I ever change???

By the way, I never talk about politics or religion with my pupils: i �m not allowed to speak about religion because France is a secular state and so are our public schools! as for politics, whenever my pupils ask me if I prefer Obama or Bush I always tell them: if I give you my opinion I might influence yours, and my goal is to help you form an opinion and not to have my opinion...

take care!

Elodie

17 Feb 2011     

maryse pey�
France

I think I am a gifted woman as I can speak 3 different languages with as much possible pleasure. I decided, since my very 1st English lesson, to teach this wonderful language. Teaching is not an easy task and making appealing and errorless worksheets is possible but maybe too perfect sometimes. Of course we, as responsible teachers, MUST be aware of the quality of our work because we actually are examples for our students. Humility and honesty as well as hard-working are necessary in our job. As far as I am concerned I think that we could improve EVERY DAY. I am used to say "the most wasted day is the day during which we learn nothing and we have not laughed".

I confess that sometimes I feel puzzled seeing some worksheets but I really do not know how to react. I love this wonderful site and Victor (and many others I guess) is doing such a difficult task...

I know I am not perfect and you are all of you right in what you are saying and pointing out. I would like this site to go on because I have met here persons of very great quality and humanity. I have improved thanks of a lot of our exchanges and when I do not like a worksheet I do not download it. But I went on this forum very late because I DO NOT like quarrels (religious or political). I am here just to share pleasure, English and great ideas with people of QUALITY whenever it is possible. I have learnt to appreciate a lot of you and I try to help some. But I have noticed that sometimes the given explanations may sound so different because I am convinced that you speak a language in the way you are living every day in the courntry where this language is spoken.

As I said I consider I am gifted because I teach the 3 languages I am speaking. That way I can compare the difficulties met by students when studying a Latin language or a Saxon language which are so different AND so coherent in their so different grammars.

Please let English unit us, not being a splitting matter ! Remember the Babel Tower !!!!! The legend says that Gods punished the human beings because they were quarrelling !!!

You are absolutely right to want keeping the quality of such a good site and I can only approve that. So let �s try to keep united in this quality and I beg all your pardon when I make errors in my sheets. Our brain is able to correct some errors our eyes do not register consciously, it was scientifically proved and when you have no one to read your worksheet to point out your errors it is difficult. As far as I am concerned I am now really addicted to this site and as I LOVE creating I need uploading my work, in a very selfish way because I DO like seeing students improving and sharing with all of you. And this is the best occasion to thank all the ones who download my worksheets ! Because I feel I have some utility and this makes me really happy and more and more humble.

17 Feb 2011     

sp.watson
Thailand

To start with a little humour - TeacherTonyinChina, do you really want to eat the worksheets!!?

On a more serious note, I too have been disappointed on many occasions to find visually attractive ws that I have downloaded littered with basic language errors. 
However, I also agree that censorship and/or sanctioning people for their mistakes is probably not the way to go.

My main grouch is that whilst I do scan and try to correct ws that I download, many are unfortunately formatted in such a way as to make it very difficult or impossible to properly edit them.

I would like to see more emphasis on requiring ws to be fully editable. Does anybody else agree?

17 Feb 2011     

1    2    Next >