Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Illegal use of copyrighted material - THIEVES    

Illegal use of copyrighted material - THIEVES

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Illegal use of copyrighted material - THIEVES

I �d like to ask a simple question:

By show of hands (just kiddin �), who here has never used a DVD in class? A video, movie, musical clip, or even a CD... does everyone know that �s against the law? Not the coursebook ones, of course. Who has never downloaded a MP3 without paying for it?

In the DVDs I own or rent, or download the internet (yeah, I know, I �m an out-law... I like livin � on the edge) it clearly states "house private use only"... it �s funny because it even mentions school use (and church amongst others) as illegal.

Wouldn �t that be considered stealing? And please don �t say "fair use"... it doesn �t apply when it �s clearly stated that you can �t use it.

I �m not going to get into the whole concept for Eslprintables.com. This is about a word... name-calling, actually. Every single time I read the word "stealing" in the forum, it gives me the creeps. Don �t you think that calling other teachers thieves (and I mean for those who do) while they �re not having any financial profit and while we violate other international copyright laws is a little too much? I �d like to see that stop... I know... dreamer, right?

23 Feb 2011      

zailda
Brazil

Oh, sorry! That was my fault� I forgot that many sensitive members have a problem with some words. Let�s call it �borrowing� then. Does it change anything?

Concerning to your question, whenever we violate their rights (posting a video with their songs) they�re fast to protect their rights � and no one seem to find they are �selfish�. Did they invent �music�? Are they so original?

But the example is valid, we use their songs in classroom as we use the worksheets here in the same way � in classroom. If we take part of their songs and say it�s ours, we�re going into trouble, aren�t we? We�re be accused of stealing (unless we tell them to use another word), aren�t we?

Of course I won�t go to your school to see if you�re using my wss or not; if you told your students they belong to you or not. And I don�t think they give a damn if we use their songs and encourage students to buy and listen to them as a way of improving their English.

Have a nice day!

Edit: Since I started studying (in 1963) teachers use songs in class. Not getting profit with it, advertizing authors (and crediting them), encouraging millions of students to buy they records (then) and DVD�s (now). I�m sure they�re completely aware of this practice (it started decades before the internet) and I�ve never heard of a school or teacher sued because of it. But maybe we teachers are completely wrong and misunderstood their licenses.

Off to work now, have a nice day!

23 Feb 2011     

Thomas Ei
Australia

great!

23 Feb 2011     

libertybelle
United States

When I buy a DVD I feel I have the right to show it to who I want, as long as I don �t ask for money in any way.
When I show a film to a class - they don �t pay to see it.
I don �t copy it for others, though.
If I buy a pair of jeans - I can lend them to all my friends if I like.

That �s my opinon.

23 Feb 2011     

Zora
Canada

Hi there Bruna dear!

Totally agree with you! He/she who hasn �t "borrowed" clipart, downloaded, recorded or shared music, photocopied material, brought a home DVD to class, used a picture that isn �t theirs as an avatar,  etc... be the first to throw the proverbial stone!

We are all guilty of one (or all) of these offences and with that in mind, we should be way more careful about calling others "thieves" since one day, we may find ourselves getting our fingers slapped for a similar transgression.

In fact, did you know it is illegal in some countries for the owner to play a radio, TV or even a computer in a public place like a shop or bar without having paid the proper licensing fee to an association that protects writers, singers and songwriters?

23 Feb 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Please, Zailda... don �t make it personal. Of course you were able to recognize one of your recent posts triggered my plead. You have every right to ponder whatever you want regarding your work, and I �m not saying otherwise. I was simply asking [everyone] to stop calling other teachers "thieves", moreover, publicly. It really bugs me. If you don �t agree with me, keep on calling other members whatever you want. But I have the right to ask.

BTW... it changes a LOT. Humilliating other teachers by calling them thieves is indeed disturbing... at least for me. Specially when they mean no harm and apologize for the mistake.

23 Feb 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

@Lisa... Libertybelle. I understand your reasoning and share it, but it clearly states on the DVD we can �t use them in class. Absurd, right? That �s why I brought it up.

23 Feb 2011     

zailda
Brazil

Libertbelle, I can see the difference between buying something (a CD or mp3 file from my cell phone company) and playing it loud for other people to listen and taking part of other person�s hard work to serve as the base for mine claiming I �created� it. Of course I can also see the difference between reading in order to understand and �reading in order to question�. Others don�t see the difference because they merely don�t want to. Thanks for your reasoning.

@Bruna, I was not humiliating anyone. If speaking my mind bugs you or humiliates a member I apologize but I can�t help telling what I think.

Have a good day.

23 Feb 2011     

David Lisgo
Japan

Bruna I �m not sure if you are now calling every member a thief by accusing us all of illegal use of copyrighted materials. Well I �m not a person to take the moral high ground but if I ever knowingly downloaded an MP3 file which I didn �t pay for when I should have then I would feel guilty but I would surely get over it. I feel differently about ESLPs because here we are a community which is built on trust, though I realise not all members feel the same way, but if I ever deliberately broke that trust then I think it would difficult to regain it. When someone steals from a dead Beatle or rich corporation it is a personal trangression which the individual must come to terms with himself/herself, but when someone plagiarises another members work it is a very public matter. Some members care very deeply about this and wil never give up trying to prevent it.

23 Feb 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I �m talking about illegal use (therefore the title). Nobody said anything about claiming ownership. At least I didn �t. I said we all do things that are against the strictest laws. Like I said... we can always agree to disagree. If saying other teachers steal because they used [without profit, I must add] something someone else created suits you, I can �t do anything about it... maybe other teachers may agree with me and don �t say that.

@David... I was saying exactly otherwise... like you said, using copyrighted materials wouldn�t mark us as thieves (even tough we ARE getting advantage of something taken somehow, most frequently against the law), I was merely pleading for us to STOP using the term. I understand all the ESLP rules and their reasons. This thread was, in principle, restricted to the use of terms.

23 Feb 2011     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

I would use here a literal translation of a Spanish proverb "we cannot put doors to the sea". I don �t know if an expression like this exists in English but I think it is very appropriate in this case. Many of my worksheets have been used in webs and blogs without my permission and I really don �t mind. When I make them I simply want to help people to make their work easier and don �t worry about who uses it as long as they don �t get money for it.
Yolanda�

23 Feb 2011     

1    2    3    Next >