Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > clothing lesson    

clothing lesson

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

clothing lesson

hi, hoping you all are having a great day i �m here for help.   i have to teach a lesson to my kindergarten about clothes but i have no idea how to do it. i searched on the net but i havent found anything for them  that is fun and easy.  can you give me some suggestions? 

13 Mar 2011      

miesies muis
Namibia

I would put some clothes in a laundry basket. Ask them what do they think is in it. Why do we put them in there?

Have some flashcards with words of different clothes and let the children sort the clothes into a specific pile. Shirts, jeans, dresses etc together. (while sorting the clothes you can ask them when do we wear it, summer, winter etc. Are there a specific event that you will wear a wedding dress, church dress, tie etc.)
After that you may ask them to sort it according to colors. Ask them why do we do that? 
Finally you can let them put on the clothes. they love dressing up!!!

Hope this helps
Elanie

13 Mar 2011     

cristinacarre
Spain

Hello good morning.

With kindergarden you can use a feely bag.
find some clothes from a doll and put everything in a feely bag. Ask them to introduce a hand inside and ask the name of the clothes.
Use flashcards to do game. In pairs who is the firts who touch a hat...
Lots of games you can do with them.
I hope it can help you.

13 Mar 2011     

t.gyorgyi
Hungary

What about using some dolls and their clothes to present vocabulary? Then they (maybe in pairs or in small groups) have to dress the dolls according to your instructions. Or they have to find for example  the blue skirt / red jumper... And the first one can get a point / a candy...

Hope it helps!
Hug
Georgiana

13 Mar 2011     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

There is a simple rhyme in Chatterbox textbook. It�s like this:
Socks and shoes and jeans and shirt,
trousers, coat and blouse and skirt.
I always use flashcards with the rhyme and it works very well. Good luck.

13 Mar 2011     

roneydirt
United States

there has been some good suggestions.  I would start with some flashcards with some basic clothes like shirt, t-shirt, pants, shorts, dress, skirt and then expand from there.  Don �t know what technology you have available or assests you have available to you.  You could also have them color in their own flashcards to "teach" other students and their parents.  There is a variety of chants and songs available to use as well even one �s created by yourself to focus the students you deal with with body motions.

I wear a shirt.  shirt shirt shirt (showing yourself putting on a shirt.)
I wear pants. pants pants pants (showing yourself putting on pants)
etc etc.

13 Mar 2011     

this is it
Argentina

I�d introduce the different garments using flashcards. I�d display them on a board and get the kids to close their eyes. I�d take one of the flashcards away and ask them to open their eyes and say what they miss. Kinder kids love this game!!

Another one they love is The Musical Bag. This is a game for ALL ages. Kids love it even 12 year-olds!
Put different garments inside a DARK bag. Play some music and the bag goes round. When you stop the music, the one who has the bag, takes out a garment, if he says what it is correctly, he puts it back into the bag but if he doesn�t, he�ll have to put it on!!
The kids laugh a lot here!
Hope you find this useful!

13 Mar 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

You �ve received good suggestions.

You can also use paper dolls:

13 Mar 2011     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

bingo cards
design a new school uniform
flashcard games
dressing up games

13 Mar 2011     

juliag
Japan

some great ideas

just one more

clothing relay. bring in 2 piles of same items of clothing, i.e. 2 T-shirts etc.

Students in 2 groups - don �t think of htem as teams or some might cry when they �re slower.

You call out a clothing item and both first players run to find it and put it on.
Applaud both, stressing not important ot be first just to find the right item and put it on

those cardboard dolls you can make and dress up are great too, I �ve seen some nice ones here before I think

ENJOY!

13 Mar 2011     

Marta_
Portugal

I have done that when I taught English at primary school. First I used flashcards with the major pieces of clothes (image and word)  and I used the blackboard to stick those flashcards.  Then I asked every kid the name of one piece of clothing while the others were listenning it.
  All of them could read and write, if your students can �t yet, you may use the seasons and they can group the right clothes for each season. They could stick each flashcard under the name of each season. You can also use colours to help you on that ( e.g. Colour the t-shirt with red; jeans with blue).
  Little students have a fascinanting memory, they will learn real fast. I found great ws on this, in the site of British Council, but they had to know to read and write for this.

13 Mar 2011     

1    2    Next >