Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > thought this was very interesting    

thought this was very interesting

leelei
Denmark

thought this was very interesting

U.S. mom sues preschool for being "big playground"

Last Updated: March 14, 2011 5:45pm

• Email Story
  • Print
  • Size A A A
  • Report Typo

NEW YORK - A mother in New York is suing her 4-year-old daughter �s posh preschool, calling it "one big playroom" that deprived the child of the edge needed to get into an elite elementary school.

Caught up in New York City �s "insanely competitive" nursery school scene, Nicole Imprescia said she paid $19,000 annual tuition to York Avenue Preschool and wants it back, according to her lawsuit that was filed late on Friday.

Her daughter, Lucia, was two years old when she was enrolled in the Upper East Side neighborhood school.

Imprescia said she heard the school �s sales pitch and was hooked by the promise it would help Lucia on her E.R.B, a standardized test used for admission to the city �s most competitive public and private kindergartens.

But instead of prepping Lucia to nail the test by the time she was four, York Avenue "dumped" her with children as young as two who were learning about shapes and colors, the lawsuit said.

"Indeed, the school proved not to be a school at all, but just one big playroom," according to the lawsuit, which claims Imprescia was deceived and defrauded.

A toddler who takes the wrong first step could ultimately trip up his or her chances for acceptance into an Ivy League college and for earning a higher income, it said.

"There is tremendous pressure to choose the right preschool," it said.

The lawsuit was filed in the weeks after many elite elementary schools send out their acceptance and rejection letters.

An attorney for Imprescia, Mathew Paulose, Jr., said the child was pulled out of the pre-school in October 2010, close to the start of the school year and, therefore, the full tuition should be returned.

"It �s a case of theft. They promised certain things but it turned out to be another thing," Paulose said.

An attorney for York Avenue Preschool was not immediately available for comment.

15 Mar 2011      

Zora
Canada

As my country "woman" so sagely put it...

leelei just likes to stir up controversy so pls DO NOT respond to this thread!!

15 Mar 2011     

leelei
Denmark

I thought it was an interesting article that some intelligent people might be interested in. Now that Canada has rung in with their two cents, please either contribute to this article as a means to an intelligent discussion or please do not bother to respond.

15 Mar 2011     

Zora
Canada

Well, this is an ESL site. This is not even closely related to ESL or teaching actually. It �s just another dig at the American educational system (or in this instance, it �s people) ... something which you have done more than once in the past.

And just so you know - I had already read this article on the Daily News webpage and you should quote your sources. Also... if this were a "real  topic for discussion", I think that your own input should be added and not just a "copy and paste" opinion.

BTW... Trolls should not be fed after midnight. And with that said, I am off to bed.

15 Mar 2011     

leelei
Denmark

Yes, well there are many posts on this site not related to ESL, starting with the 12 messages about Japan and continuing with that captioning contest thing, and so on. If you really feel like splitting hairs.  And I �m not taking a dig at Ameirca, I just thought it was an interesting article about education that some people might like to comment on. I �m certainly glad you know how to read and that you �re up on your current events, Zora, but others have not read this article and might like to do so. And I don �t need to quote the sources for this article, as I �m not writing a term paper. Besides, it says the article is from Reuters News Agency. And I would love to offer my input as soon as someone with an intelligent opinion responds to this article. I don �t see you offering your opinion on this article. Please, be the first. I await your commentary with baited breath. PS: I didn �t copy and paste my opinion, I copied and pasted a news article. Hum.

15 Mar 2011     

Apodo
Australia

I thought it was an interesting article and it is linked to teaching, but perhaps just the headline and a link for those people who want to follow it up would have sufficed.

15 Mar 2011     

alien boy
Japan

Actually, I thought it as interesting. In Japan (at least prior to Friday) this is an important consideration too. going to the right preschool can be crucial as there are entry tests for all the best private schools too. The application fee (non refundable) for entry tests can be quite hefty... Where I am there were more than 500 applicants for 93 positions. I saw & assisted with some entry testing. Very interesting.
How crucial is pre school education in determining future progress?
How much responsibility should institutions have for the academic performance of a child, especially one so young?
What is actually measured in these �entrance � exams & how much veracity do these tests have? Should we even be doing entry tests like these?
How well & what kimd of training do teachers need to face these requirements? 
What claims can institutions make? How seriously should these claims be taken?

There are a lot of other questions that could be asked too.. these are just a few I could think of immediately.

As a teacher these things really do concern me. Insurance is already a necessary fact of life for teachers & not just in America!

regards,
AB

15 Mar 2011     

roneydirt
United States

Leelei you seem to have a misguided hatred toward the American school system.  You talked about what was going on in Wisconsin and said it was an attack on the teacher �s Union but it was an attack on all unions in the state.  You talked about how one state sent layoff papers to all the teachers, when it is state law if there is going to be a layoff of any education staff all receive the letter.  Now here is a story on about a mother trying to get her child into a very elite elementary school but couldn �t so she is sueing the preschool.  Problem they didn �t put the elementary school �s name in the article for a reason.  It is one of only a handful of specials schools across America and it isn �t just the student tested to get into it but so are the parents.  The article makes it sound as the daughter failed the entrance exam but it was actually the family background check that failed her so she couldn �t go after the elementary school.  The school in question has schools in several countries because the children are of high profile people with kidnap dangers.  Do a little research before you make implies on something you don �t know about.  Also it is better to just put the link up for people to read and make an initial comment on what you are actually looking for.  As for the Japan stuff, it is teacher related since friends are in danger. The caption contest is EFL related and keeps our minds working and some have been used in PowerPoints and WS. 

15 Mar 2011     

roneydirt
United States

Yeah Alienboy it can be a concerning situation.  Like you said you had a high number trying for a small number spots.  It has become big business.  I feel sorry for these kids because many are having their childhood taking from them.  One of my offices is on a street where there are Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and other afterschool programs for wealthy and influencial children and when you talked to them they are basically in school 6 days a week and play time is about an hour and sometimes it is also an afterschool academy.  I also like the way they introduce their bodyguards..  well the Chinese students, "This is Uncle driver."  I seen elementary student �s already studying not just for their middle school entrance exam but their high school and some already started studying for IELTS.  Love trying to ask some IELTS exam questions that are designed for high school graduates to a 9 year old.  My favorite one is this, "When was the first time you kissed your girlfriend?"

15 Mar 2011     

alien boy
Japan

Hahaha great question  there roneydirt! What was the reply.... �Girlfriend?!, Yuck!!! �

Personally though, I found the article interesting & a little alarming in terms of legal responsibility of educational institutions & by extension the teachers.
Thanks for posting it!

regards,
AB

15 Mar 2011     

leelei
Denmark

Thank you to all who commented on this article, personal attacks aside. I often wonder how young is too young to start children in a structured learning environment, say for an hour or an hour and a half. Having witnessed several children ages 4 and 5 (not 2), physically they don �t have the coping skills or the attention span to sit that long, and I wonder if it sets the parents up for false hope? What do they expect from children that young? In my country, our attitude is very different from other countries-we �re very laid-back, and that �s not necessarily a good thing. I �d like to hear from people who believe that children as young as two should be placed in a school setting, or if that �s a norm in their respective countries.

15 Mar 2011     

1    2    Next >