Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need some help with synonyms...once again    

Need some help with synonyms...once again

magneto
Greece

Need some help with synonyms...once again

Hello everyone!

How are you?
I �m about to pester you with one more of my questions regarding synonyms, so brace yourselvesEmbarrassed

This is a sentence taken from an article about Prague:

"Wherever you go in central Prague, you will be handed bits of paper ................. the virtues of various rival concerts."

And these are the options for the answer:

a. commending   b. applauding  c. supporting  d. extolling

According to the teacher �s key the answer is a-commending.

I know - and I can explain to my students - why the answer cannot be b or c...And, semantically speaking, I can understand why a is the correct answer...
But how can I explain to them why the answer cannot be d - extolling, since (1) both are formal and (2) in the examples given by the OALD for extol, one of the collocations given is extol the virtues, while a number of collocations are given for commend and the word virtues is not among them.

Any ideas???

Thank you in advance for your help!

Have a great day/ eveningSmile

12 May 2011      

yanogator
United States

I would say that you would commend the concerts themselves, but not their virtues. As you found, there is a common expression "to extol the virtues of", so "d" would be my answer.

Bruce

12 May 2011     

magneto
Greece

Thank you for the quick reply, BruceSmile

13 May 2011     

Jayho
Australia

OMG Magneto - such a difficult question for your students.  In fact, I rarely see extol used these days and my NS gut feeling was for option a commending.  However, googling shows that both commend and extol seem to collocate with virtues so really it is quite difficult to ascertain. I�m not a grammar guru so I�m just going on gut feel and I�m not sure even if I could explain why b and c don�t fit.  I�ve had a look in my books and there is zilch there.

13 May 2011     

anamagalhaes
Portugal

Of course it all depends on the context, but both a) and c) are correct choices in this sentence.

13 May 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Why do you say c is correct? Is there a grammatical reason?  As a NS it just doesn�t sound right but that doesn�t mean it is grammatically incorrect.  I�m interested to know.

13 May 2011     

douglas
United States

I agree with Jayho -- as a NS I would have chosen "extolling" (especially since they are handing you these papers on the street trying to get you to attend the concerts).

EDIT: (Webster�s)

com�mend/kəˈmend/Verb
1. Praise formally or officially.
2. Present as suitable for approval or acceptance; recommend: "I commend her to you without reservation".  

After reading the second definition I can now see where commending would work too--I have always used commending for the first definition and recommending for the second.

13 May 2011     

magneto
Greece

Thank you all for your replies. You �ve been very helpful!

I �m still a bit confused, though...

Should I tell them that both are correct and that extolling would probably be better collocation-wise, but it �s not used very frequently these days, as Jayho suggests?

What about you, Douglas and Bruce (or any other American friends)? Would you say that it �s frequently used in the US?

Any British native speakers out there? What �s the case in the UK? Would they both be used? Would you use only one of them?

Thank you all again...and sorry for being a pain in the neckBig smile

13 May 2011     

alien boy
Japan

As a NS my first preference would have been d extolling over a commending too.

According to the Online Oxford Dictionary (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/extol?view=uk) the definition of extol is �to praise lavishly � which is a little different to formally or officially praising something.

WHen commending something there is the implication of verifiable/quantifiable quality that is being praised.

When extolling something you may only be praising something that is agreeable in your opinion (meaning it could be construed as �mere puffery � in legal terms if someone tries to sue you for confusing your opinion with verifiable fact if they don�t find he same enjoyment in the advertised performance).

but I could just be influenced by my understanding of contract & torts law...

as the �bits of paper being handed out � would be a form of advertising then I feel extolling would be more acceptible as the correct term in these litiginous times!

Cheers,
AB

13 May 2011     

magneto
Greece

Thank you, ABSmile

...I see most of you have opted for extol, so I suppose it �s also possible that there �s a mistake in the key, right?...Hmmm...

13 May 2011     

redcamarocruiser
United States

To me extolling is the best choice. Commending doesn �t sound usual to me, even though it appears in the dictionary as an apparent option.

13 May 2011     

1    2    Next >