Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > stolen materials, basta!    

stolen materials, basta!

gdinca
Italy

stolen materials, basta!

Every week, among the new contributions, I see a lot of worksheets that have been stolen from other teachers � profile. Once again this morning, checking the new excellent contributions (thanks a lot everybody) I saw one of my worksheets, edited under someone else �s name. This is not the first time. Apart from being very cross, I also feel sorry for those so-called teachers who are not able to create their own worksheets.
OK, I can still report it, but this is not a solution. It is important to strike at the root of the problem. I think it is important  to fight those who, lacking in any moral scruple, don �t hesitate to steal materials from their colleagues. Victor, what can be done at your level?

4 Jun 2011      

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Do we "need" to do anything? Other than report and remove? The "root" of the problem? Should we call the cops? Or maybe hack into their computers and teach them a good lesson.

I was copied once, Mabdel (a dear member and friend) spotted the copy and reported it.
As of me... I was soooo flattered! It was my first! Embarrassed

The thought of teachers accusing teachers of "stealing" and having no "scruples" because of a ws creeps me out. We should be doing something about THAT instead.

4 Jun 2011     

libertybelle
United States

In my opinion - teachers should be role models. It is against the law in most countries to steal.
It is also against the rules here to steal. Unfortunately not everyone who is a teacher has high moral standards - and I really feel sorry for the students who have a teacher like this.
 We used to have a huge problem with theft but thanks to the new moderator system - the problem is not as big anymore.
I think a person who steals 3 times is thrown out of this group.
Otherwise - if you see a stolen ws - report it.  That �s the best you can do.
L

4 Jun 2011     

gdinca
Italy

Well Bruna Dutra, I think you haven �t really understood the problem. It is a question of values and principles. It is a question of respecting the law in general and the rules on that website.

4 Jun 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I do understand it, gdinca. I just strongly disagree with your standards.

I bet (and I mean, I would literally send you money if I �m wrong) that you "steal" too. According to your standards, every time you download something illegally available on the internet, you �d be an accomplice of a crime. Have you ever downloaded MP3? Or a movie from the web? Did you know most of them are ilegally put there? Have you ever photocopied an entire book for your students? Because you know you �re not allowed to do that. I have.

Taking something which is not yours in order to get access to teaching material SHOULD NEVER ... EVER... be called THEFT. Those are MY standards.

PS. I�m not in any way supporting the people who upload material which isn�t theirs. I simply get appalled when I see people being harsh on others while they can�t see that we all do wrong on so many levels too. Sometimes on the same level.

4 Jun 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

Feel free to steal my worksheets.......maybe not, their not worth stealing!

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

4 Jun 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I publicly announce that I have just reported one of gdinca�s worksheet as a COPY from englishpage.com.

This is my final proof that EVERYONE commits "crimes" (according to herself) here and there. And most often those who claim to be flawless.

Please, don �t ever do that again. Otherwise, people with your standards will call YOU a thief.
But me, I still believe you must be a good person.

Smile

4 Jun 2011     

Stellam
Argentina

Nobody has ever stolen any of my worksheets ... Cry how frustrating

4 Jun 2011     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

One of my online exercises was stolen and uploaded as a ws. I felt so flattered someone thought my work was worth of stealing. LOL

4 Jun 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

It �s members like that, light-hearted, witty and humorous that make me feel good about also being a member of this website.

Nevertheless, I �d really like to know what gdinca has to say regarding this subject now. I �m sure there �s a logical explanation such as "that was an old ws I hadn �t noticed it wasn �t mine", or "that ws was given to me from a co-worker".

It �s way better to believe in people beyond their small acts rather than label them thieves. Specially when you �re talking about a complex thing like the internet.

I �ll repeat my POV: Taking something which is not yours in order to get access to teaching material SHOULD NEVER ... EVER... be called THEFT.

4 Jun 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Where did gdinca go ????

4 Jun 2011     

1    2    Next >