Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ENGLISH TEACHER X TEACHER OF ENGLISH WHO ARE WE??    

ENGLISH TEACHER X TEACHER OF ENGLISH WHO ARE WE??

starrr
Brazil

ENGLISH TEACHER X TEACHER OF ENGLISH WHO ARE WE??

I always have a question about this matter here.

Can anyone help to clear it up?

we are not native speakers, so we learned it and now we teach it to our students so How can we call ourselves?

ENGLISH TEACHER

or

TEACHER OF ENGLISH?

or just Ms. Silva or Mr. Smith?

How the students should call us??? or name us???

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

starrr7 ;-0)

5 Jun 2011      

slkchina
China

In America, we call a teacher of French a French teacher even though it is not their native language (usually). We don �t differentiate between a native speaker or a teacher who learned the language they are teaching. I would assume that your students would address you as Ms. Silva and refer to you as their English teacher. It�s acceptable to say that Ms. Silva is a teacher of English but English teacher is probably used more often.

5 Jun 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hi, Starrr. I think that it �s perfectly OK to be called ENGLISH TEACHER, even though we may not be native speakers, because what ENGLISH / FRENCH / SPANISH or whatever language, is NOT referring to the NATIONALITY, but to the language that is being taught.

Here in Mexico, in private schools, a female teacher is called "Miss... (first name) and the male teachers are called Mr... (last name) or Teacher X... or even to both male and female in some schools, we are called "Teacher".

Some of my Spanish colleagues permit the students to call them by their name. Personally, I don �t. I ask them to call me, either Teacher, or Miss. Because I think the importance and respect for the teacher �s role is being minimized nowadays. I think we teachers are also contributing to this. I don �t ask them to call me "teacher" to feel important or anything like that, but to teach the students that they have to show respect towards me. Of course I also have to treat them with respect, and I do, that �s why I �ve taught them that respect has to be both ways. And that even though I can be their "friend"... they must not forget I am a teacher. We must never cross that line.  

Before, the role of the teacher was one of great respect, authority. And even the personal appearance was important. Some of my colleagues sometimes come to school with such a bad appearance that really bothers me! I say to them, how can we demand that the students wear their uniform appropriately when some teachers show up as if they just got up from bed!!!

5 Jun 2011     

m.farvas
Malta

Strictly speaking, we are teachers of English not English teachers.  Here in Malta teachers in state schools are called Ms.+surname.  In church and private schools children address their teachers as Ms+first name.  It depends on the policy of the school. We instruct our NQTs (Newly Qualified Teachers) to adopt the first option, that is, being called by their surname as it creates a sense of formality which will eventually help with regards to a better class management. Good luck and have a lovely week.

Mar

5 Jun 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

I use  �English teacher � just like the �Math teacher �, �Biology teacher � etc.....
About your private name, I think that is indeed dependent on school policy. Here students simply call us by our first name, without any Ms/Mrs/Mr/ teacher...So I am simply: Marion

5 Jun 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

I guess if you need to bring nationality into it you would say "I have a Brazilian (French, British ) English teacher". I have always called myself �an English teacher �. If I were at a high school I guess I would say ESL teacher because English teachers in English speaking countries normally teach literature.
In Australia primary and high students call their teachers Mr Smith or Sir or Mrs Smith. Because I teach adults I am called by my first name but I have learnt to answer to �teacher � simply because it is so common.

5 Jun 2011     

languageleader88
Andorra

Well, it depends of your nationality. If you �re from the Uk, I think you should use Teacher of English, but I have always used English teacher.

5 Jun 2011     

starrr
Brazil

All right folks..Now I understand it better.Thanks a lot for all ur wise comments here. Have you all a blessed sunday! ;-0) Starrrr

5 Jun 2011     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Do you think that any native speaker can teach his or her mother tongue? You don �t know what you you like from the language, may be, as a native speaker does, but you know much about the language that a native speaker doesn �t. therefore; you deserve the name English teacher or teacher of language. your job is to show your students the way not to make them walk on it. 

5 Jun 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Calling a teacher "Miss..." or "Mr..." or "Teacher" doesn �t mean sts are going to respect us. I am called "Alicia" or "Alice" by some, and we have a very good relationship, they know what they are and aren �t allowed to do in my class, and I call them by their first names, too.

Those with whom I have a "not so good" relationship ... well,  nothing would be different if they called me "Mrs Alicia" ...
But then, "cada maestrillo con su librillo", as the saying goes in Spanish ...
BTW, does anyone know how to say that in English ?

5 Jun 2011     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Hi everybody,

I remember having read a book, called Ortiz Lira, dealing with this topic. As regards this book, where we put the stress in the compound noun `English teacher` is what makes the difference. 

An ENglish teacher...  is a teacher who teaches English as a second language

Now, an English teacher is a teacher from England.

Quite difficult to spot! (for me at least)

Have a nice Sunday!

regards, 

Jor

5 Jun 2011     

1    2    Next >