Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Bathroom or toilet ?    

Bathroom or toilet ?

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Bathroom or toilet ?

Hi,

Can you tell me which better to learn sts to say in school
Can I go to the bathroom ?

or

Can I go to the toilet?

I think it �s better to say     Can I go to the toilet?

but I don �t know in the text books always we see     Can I go to the bathroom ?

What do you think ???

Regards,
Pretty

26 Sep 2011      

elenillatop20
Spain

I �d always go for �toilet � in a school context. Better yet, I think �may � would be the appropriate modal. Have you ever heard of this?:

Student: Can I go to the toilet?
Teacher: Of course you can, but you may not.

Have a nice day.

26 Sep 2011     

Pinky Makus
Canada

It depends what type of English you are teaching, American or British.  In Canada, asking to go to the toilet may get you a funny look.  We usually use the words washroom, bathroom, ladies room or men �s room.  Here the word toilet refers to the thing you sit on not the room that it is in.

26 Sep 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

may is very formal, don �t you think? I did teach my ss to use it though... My ss usually ask: may I go out? (sort of not to mention what is obvious:)
Sophia

26 Sep 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

i teach american english and they say may i go to the restrooms?  since bathroom is what you have at home and  restrooms refers to the  public one.

26 Sep 2011     

Pauline Burke MSc
Spain

In Ireland we had to say "Do I have permission to go to the toilet please?" in Gaeilge (Irish), which is very formal, or we didn�t go.
Here, in Spain, my students usually say "can I go to the toilet please?".
I think �may I go�is better English but try explaining that to elementary students!
Going to the bathroom has come from America, I even think it with an American accent.

Personally, I don�t know why we force children to ask. If they need to go, they need to go. Why can�t they just say excuse me and leave the room.

27 Sep 2011     

zailda
Brazil

The students usually say: "Can I go out?", I prefer they don �t mention where they go (drink water or use the restroom) because it may be embarrassing for shy students.

I �d not ask them to use "toilet", I �d rather use "restroom" if they wanted to state exactly where they go.

27 Sep 2011     

Rumeisa
Turkey

HI i usually teach students "may i go to the restroom/bathroom,please?". Now they prefer not to mention what are they going to do there, because some would make fun of others if they ask to go there. I also try to teach them to use break time for going there instead of lesson, because it disturbs everybody.

27 Sep 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

Here in Australia we "call a spade a spade � so we would say �toilet �.
Cheers Joy
ps �to call a spade a spade � is to say exactly what something is and not pretend it is something else

27 Sep 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

All these comments and no English teacher has said "LOO" 
I always ask my students to say loo, it �s an informal word for lavatory. "Toilet" being soooo common in the English language.

British English.   

My I go/be excused......... to/for.......... the loo.

Loo being the Queen�s English and used by upper class people.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOW

27 Sep 2011     

libertybelle
United States

After living in Europe for so long - I �ve learned that Americans are very embarrassed about bodily functions - that �s why they never ask to go to the toilet - but the bathroom, where the toilet is situated.
This doesn �t seem to be a problem for Europeans at all.

Or as Liz write - the restrooms - which are public facilities.
we also use lavatory - but European ask to go to the toilet or loo.

Weird because everyone has got to go!!LOL

27 Sep 2011     

1    2    Next >