Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Computer Advice again please    

Computer Advice again please

juliag
Japan

Computer Advice again please

Dear all,

Hi. Hope you �re having a great Sunday.

After nursing my computer back to health in the early summer with help from several of you, now it has finally died and I really have to buy a new one.

Several of the people around me are Mac users and strongly recommend it, but up until now I have only used Windows (up to XP). Other people tell me there is not so much difference between Windows 7 and Mac as Windows 7 is very good.

I listen to them all and get more and more confused and unsure about which I should go with Confused.

I know that either will be fine and that I need to choose the one that will work best for me, but I just wonder if any of you who know a bit about computers and have an opinion on the issue could give me your thoughts so that I can make a more informed decision.

Thank you in advance for all your help and wishing all a good start to another busy week.
Julia

20 Nov 2011      

David Lisgo
Japan

http://www.mcljapan.com/

Hi Julia,

I �m rather busy this week so I can �t give you much help on this.  I have bought through japantoday a few times. Can be hit and miss but very cheap, I got a great laptop for 16,000 yen.

I would advise you to stick with PC as it is what you know.  You can aways buy a cheap 2nd hand Mac and try it out but it �s all money and resources.  If you go with windows 7 I can probably give you some advice on the changeover from XP if need be. Though I have 7 I �m this using XP because my old HP990cs (I have 3) don �t do so well on 7.

Take care, I will write you when I have more time.
David

20 Nov 2011     

maryse pey�
France

dear Julia,

hope that except this problem everything is ok for you.

Now about computers.

I had strong pro Mac friends and they often told me that working with a Mac is simpler than with Windows even if there are some incompatibilities with some programs.

Then of course the unconditional pro Windows who cannot accept Mac at all.

I think that when we are used to something it is easier to stay in the same range of ideas.

Personally I have the chance to know a computer engineer who is making a computer suiting my own needs according to the budget I can afford on this material.

If you think well, this solution is not really much more expensive. On another hand you can discuss with this guy what is best for you (not only material but some specific program you would like to have). On another hand my friend assures the fixing when there is a problem (we are not in the computer and the years are not good for our stubborn "friends" !). You are (logically) assured of a better quality.

You may try this solution ?

Plenty of hugs dear friend.

Maryse.

20 Nov 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi

For most of us, a computer is something we also use for work so I �d go with what is more compatible with the softwares I use at work. In my case, it �s Windows. The other perk with Windows/Microsoft, is that they are cheaper than a Mac.

20 Nov 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

i would go with the one you know, there are lots of free or not free software that do not come for mac, aside from that if the price is an issue macs are not cheap, and you will need time to learn how to use it which is not a big deal if you have time.

20 Nov 2011     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!
Windows 7 is great (and Windows 8 is right around the corner...) but if you want to invest both time & energy into getting a better result, you �d better go for a Mac.

Hugs

Zailda

20 Nov 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

One thing that hasn �t been mentioned yet is that you can use both the Windows 7 and the Mac together if your using an apple computer.

When you get your new Mac just download the windows 7 for using on that computer
and every time you switch on you then have a choice on fire up just click on the OS you want to fire up at start.

So Bob �s your uncle you have a computer that �s compatable to use both OS software.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

By the way if I had to make a choice between the windows 7 and Mac well I would use the apple Mac any day for full use of software and internet uses and the windows 7 just for games.

20 Nov 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

WinkSee for yourself
Sophia

20 Nov 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

HI  dear Julia

I love my MAC, cause HE has never lost anything, HE has never ruined my work, HE has never, ever disappointed me.

My MAC is just a " family member"

We MAC, here around - no virus, no changing/ buying new computers every four/five years. My last MAC was retired,some months ago,  but still working, after more than ten years of full and effective service. One of my children, Pedro, has just asked me if he could take him for a few days, cause its windows has collapsed.   LOL

I LOVE MY MAC, CAUSE HE MAKES ALL MY WORK.

Love you, dear Julia

Linda

20 Nov 2011     

Katiana
Spain

Dearest Julia,

I was a Windows user for a long time till I decided to buy a Mac over a year ago. I just love it, it�s simply great but I agree it might have some disadvantages:
1-It may take some time to get used to it.

2.-Some programmes are not compatible and you should purchase them if you want to go on using them on your Mac, although there is an utility called Boot Camp that lets you install Windows on a Mac computer in its own partition, so you can use either Windows or Mac OS X on a Mac computer. In that case you could keep using all the programmes you had in your old computer everytime you decide to start the Mac on the Windows partition.

3- The Price. A Mac is far more expensive than a PC running Windows, but I know a lot of users and they all agree that a Mac lasts much longer than a PC.

Well dear. I hope this helps a bit.

Big hugs,

Katiana

21 Nov 2011     

juliag
Japan

Although I am no closer to a decision right at this moment you have all been more than helpful, thank you so much! This idea of running both on a Mac sounds very promising, I �ll look into it some more.

Thank you all for taking time out of your busy day to help me, I really appreciate it.
If anyone else has any thoughts always interested to hear them.
Have a lovely week all,
Julia

21 Nov 2011     

1    2    Next >