Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Inappropriate worksheet content    

Inappropriate worksheet content

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

"But if you think accusing people of being inquisitive is kind"

I never said that . I said you should not accuse this contributor without knowing about his students, etc.

Moreover, I do not doubt on your knowlodge and I do not say that the things you say are silly, as you are saying of mine.

Respect is important.

26 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

If you read and followed attentively my last words were exclusively for the one who thought he/she is more clever and used a totally unacceptable word "inquisition" towards all the members who preceded him with their reaction to this issue.
Then I did not accuse the owner of the WS of anything. I said "according to his other WS" he seems to teach young Ss. And if it is the case and from a teacher�s point of view this kind of vocabulary even when taught innocently is not suitable at certain age.
I never pretended that he does not have the right to use such worksheet in his class.

Finally, when you want to participate in a discussion try o read/follow it from the beginning and read each post carefully to see who is meant by each sentence.

26 Sep 2008     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Goodness,

There has also been misunderstanding.

A memeber Jcirnes said... are we the Inquisition now? (as a way of saying who are we to jugde what is right or wrong) (It is a way of saying in some countries) This member did not say you were inquisitive.

To be inquisitive is another thing: asking too many questions and trying to find out too many details about something or someone.

26 Sep 2008     

Zora
Canada

I had a look at this worksheet - and while the topic was not one I�d consider proper for students or normal adult classes, I have to say that the sheet was done in fairly good taste (considering the topic it�s centered around) while I agree that to most of us it might seem offensive, the worksheet in question might actually be okay for a topic concerning biology or medical English.

I think the owner of the account should just be warned that such topics are considered offensive and not allowed on the site. It is, perhaps, an error on our part not to have stipulated what type of English this site is focused towards.

26 Sep 2008     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Goodness,
Do not advise me to read from the beginning because I did. I read and followed your opinion attentevily. If you do not like my opinion, that is another thing.

I agree with you Zora

26 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Jorgelinaac
I am sorry but "Inquisition" (with capital letter in addition) is the aspect of the only "inquisitive" people.
"Inquisition" is in a simple way to ask for and look in everything in people �s lives and deeds to have control on them.
We cannot understand it but only this way and what ever country you�re in.

This definition/meaning is cntained in what you quoted yourself. I advise you to read it again and more carefully.

Goodbye.

26 Sep 2008     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Inquision without capital letters means what you just said.

However, The Inquisition ( with capital letter)( as Jcirnes said) refers to the Roman Catholic organization in former times whose aim was to punish people who had unacceptable religious beliefs. This is what Jcirnes referred to. You can re-check Jcirnes comment. It is a way of saying in most countries.

26 Sep 2008     

Zora
Canada

26 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Ok if you think that the Inquisition was a glorious and fabulous period in your History.

Of course we use in many countries. But in what sense? We use it when we think that someone (physical or moral person) is over going his prerogatives and is trying to have control over others just like the Roman Catholic when they used the most horrible  methods/acts the humanity had ever know taking as an excuse they were combating the bad manners and misbehavior in the society.

26 Sep 2008     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Look, it is a way of saying. I will give you an example.

Let�s suppose, someone is critizising someone too much and saying he is wrong, just because he does not think in the same way as someone else. So some people say.. what? Are you The Inquisition? As a way of saying.. you critisize other people just because they do not think like you. It is just a way of saying. Take it easy.

Nobody said such a period was glorious or fabolous.

That�s all.

26 Sep 2008     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    Next >