Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Inappropriate worksheet content    

Inappropriate worksheet content

Zora
Canada

In English, it is used in reference to one person (or a group) persecuting another for behaving or acting in a certain way. Jcirnes meant that we don�t have the right to judge others in such a way. i.e. We were talking about outright banning the individual, taking away his points and basically calling him a degenerate for posting such a thing when in reality, we only know part of the story and not all the facts. 

26 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

"We were talking about outright banning the individual, taking away his points and basically calling him a degenerate for posting such a thing when in reality, we only know part of the story and not all the facts."

Please Zora wherein my previous and especially the very first one did I said, meant or even insinuated this?

All the other members did go over the fact it was inappropriate.

Another question how do you understand "inappropriate"?

For me this word just means that sth. is not in the right place and/or time.

Telling that what someone said/did/used is inappropriate does it mean for you this person is to be banned, dispossessed  because degenerate.

PS:
Sorry it can�t be just a saying for me.
When we are brought to use this word there are to possibilities either you use it and you are right (here I won�t envy the situation you�re  in) or you use it and you are wrong (and here you cannot be person I would like to have as friend). That�s it.

26 Sep 2008     

Zora
Canada

Here are some direct quotes before Jcirnes made his comment goodnesses, also none of the above was directed at you, just at the "inquistion" comment made previously.... and just so you know, I find your sarcasm inappropiate here... 

This is what Jcirnes meant by persecuting or badgering others:

Fletsch: I think that all of us at ESLprintables should boycott his worksheets, etc, and I think his account should be closed. In my opinion, this is not the place for that type of material. 

Mmaarriiaa: people who upload that kind of inappropriate material should have their accounts closed.

PS: Ever heard of "False Friends"... things that have a different meaning in one language, though they look like they would mean the same in another language?? Well, there are tons of words like that and you really should not get bent out of shape because in English it might be used in another way... Be a tad bit more tolerant and relaxed about things. We are just discussing a point here and not atacking others.

26 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

"Be a tad bit more tolerant and relaxed about things."
I think you�re going a little far with me Zora and I was not expecting that from you.
Don�t tell me please to be tolerant because as an Algerian I know what intolerance is and the harm it can do for I  felt it in my flesh and in all my soul and where it led my dear home country.

Never mind back to the Inquisition...

I don�t agree with you for the words "Inquisition" "inquisitive" "inquisitor" being false friend among many languages because they aren�t. These words have exactly the same meaning in any "European"  language, latin or anglo-saxon. At least in the three if not four languages I know very well. (French, English and German + the same meaning in Arabic though not the same spelling of course)

False Friends as far as I know , are word that have the same spelling and/or pronunciation in different languages of the same origin; Frencjh, Spanish, Italian, German, English....
Example:
pain (eng)=harm/hurt - pain (fr)=bread
billion (Ger) = 1,000,000,000 - billion (eng) = 1,000,000,000,000
actually (eng)=in reality - actu�llement (fr) = now,nowdays
slip (eng) = (fig) make a mistake, an accidental move as on very smooth surface - slip (Ger) = underwear
agenda (eng) = what to do - agenda (fr) =  sort of datebook

Inquisition and co. has the same definition in any language which is the same as the one you gave and in which you seem not to pay attention to the last entry.

27 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

By the way
"tormenta" (brz) is it a false friend of "tourmente" (fr) this one is for kidding tryto guess why.

But ...

"tourmente" (fr) is it a false friend of "torment" (eng) this one is serious.

27 Sep 2008     

fletsch
Canada

Hey everyone:

Just wanted to say that my comments yesterday on a certain worksheet were made  because I felt that this worksheet was in poor taste and not an ESL resource.  In my opinion it should be removed from the site.

27 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

OK but now the discussion turned this way why stop after such a good ..."trail"

27 Sep 2008     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

I do not like discussion in this tone. Especially your sarcasm towards other member of this community.

I always try to see the bright side on things. For example, Goodnesses, there was some misunderstanding between these two words. Probably, inside yourself, you accepted the definitions were not that accurate.

Let�s always remember that errors are a step in the learning process. And this process is a never ending one in all aspects of life :)

In my opinion, the ws shoud not be removed. I do agree it is a sensitite topic and I do understand your reactions. It is up to each member if they do want to download it or not.  Are we the Inquisition? :)

Anyway, this site has an owner, and he has the last word, probably.

Have a happy weekend Fletsch and everyone.

27 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

First, I am not sarcastic at all. I don�t like sarcasm very much.
Second, make up your mind, Jorgelinaac. Either you find this WS appropriate in this site or not. If you think it is appropriate here I can�t understand you regarding what you said in the beginning. If you find inappropriate in this site, it has to be removed and better by the owner himself. And then, everybody will be happy. No one will be accused of inquisition. It will save Victor his precious time. The owner of WS will have shown his respect to the majority of the members because no one said he is to be banned because of one WS (which most said it is inappropriate but no one said it is useless or worthless). He has many other WS which I said if they aren�t very good, they are acceptable (Understand here that every member has his own appreciation and every WS can get a different appreciation. What you may think is very good may be just acceptable for me and cvice versa. It depends on everyone�s needs and way of teaching).
And please don�t say I am sarcastic here also. If you do, I will really be angry and upset.

Best regards to "ALL"

27 Sep 2008     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

I am so sorry but I am not saying anything, Making fun about other member of this post I find it tasteless. 

I do not need to make up my mind.

I perfectly understand that each person has its opinion, That is why I am giving mine as you are giving yours.

Indeed, some said his account should be closed. That is to be banned.

Too much on the topic. Enough is enough.

Goodnesses, Have a nice time.

27 Sep 2008     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    Next >