Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need the video subtitles. Please help to understand me 15 seconds of the dialogue!    

Need the video subtitles. Please help to understand me 15 seconds of the dialogue!

perma
Greece

Did they really say all that???

Linda, you �re not alone LOL

29 Dec 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Linda,

Please, don �t say that you are "bad", "ashamed", or "guilty".

Please, don �t say: "I can �t speak English".

I speak to numerous overseas students in English, French, Dutch, German, Italian, Spanish, etc. and have long conversations.  I even converse with Portuguese and Angolan students.  Almost always, they compliment me on my language ability.

They are convinced that I am some sort of genius.  I am not.  I am just an ordinary teacher, like you.  Your English is MUCH better than my French, German, Spanish, etc.

When I don �t understand what the students are saying, what do I do?

I GUESS at the meaning.

When I can �t remember vocabulary, what do I do?

I INVENT A WORD, or paraphrase it.

When the students speak too quickly and too long, what do I do?

I TELL A JOKE, in their language, to divert attention.

They think that I am clever, but really, I am the biggest CHEAT.

It is said that the best language learners are those who are extrovert, daring, and are willing to take a chance.  They guess, use the latest expressions, and are willing to try new phrases.  They don �t mind making a mistake --- indeed, they laugh at themselves for their �stupidity �.  They are ADVENTUROUS!

If a Mother has two children, which child will probably progress faster in life?

The child who sits quietly, watching others, and trying to learn what they are doing --- learning by WATCHING?  Or the child who is curious, and wants to touch things, and move things, and do things with the hands, so --- learning by DOING.

I would say: "The second child!"

I am constantly astounded by the excellent quality of the English displayed by the majority of the Members of ESLP. Frankly, the standard of English is SUPERIOR to that of many native speakers.

Every Member is LEARNING BY DOING.  Congratulations!

Les

29 Dec 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

@ Les,
You are one of the sweetest (and helpful) members in this site.

Your students are very lucky to have you!

29 Dec 2011     

LadyW
Russian Federation

Oh, I am so happy that there are people in this website who are so kind to help me in difficult situation. It was so important for me to unerstand this part of the video and I was also dissapointed that I couldn �t understand the men in the video. 
Thank you Bruce! Thank you Dale!Thank you Les!

You know i like to visit ESLprintables because of the people who are sharing their experience here, but unfortunately I am a real failure in the world of education. When I was applying for a job as a teacher they refused to hire me not because I am that awful - I don �t know why. My private lessons also were  a failure. Nobody wants me to be his or her teacher! But I want...But I am afraid to make another attempt. Afraid to be denied again! Believe me it �s a real pang in the heart to have a desire to be like you all, to have the greatest happiness to communicate with people in English (as a teacher and as a person) but to be frightened to open my mouth because of the previous numerous failures. I have never talked in English with a native speaker tet-a-tet and of course I am afraid not to be understood and denied. I need self-confidence that all of you have. 

I really admire all the work that is done in the worksheets...it �s amazing....
And you know...it �s amazing to have an opportunity to share your knowledge with your students who WANT to attend your classes... 
Really thank you for help!!!
Ljuba

29 Dec 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

Dear Ljuba,
Many teachers would be happy to have your level of English! Don �t worry! Enjoy reading English books, watching English DVDs and listening to audio and BBC radio on the internet. English is fun! My written English is rubbish but I don �t feel bad. I play with words and enjoy making mistakes. Everybody makes mistakes! IT IS NATURAL!
If you feel shy with your students, use textbooks and worksheets (from eslprintables:-). Don �t forget to ask your students about their hobbies. Favourite actors, books, singers and so on... Use attractive teaching tools, board games, ppt games, audio + text, graded readers...
Don �t give up! If you are a passionate teacher, your students will find it out and they will gradually begin to like you...
All great teachers were first inexperienced, shy and boring. Novice teachers must gain confidence and then they will blossom to become amazing teachers...

PS: How many mistakes did you find? 
LOL    Hug

29 Dec 2011     

LadyW
Russian Federation

Nica,
We are in the same boat speaking about mistakes and written english being rubbish LOL with the only difference that you are self-confident and do not afraid of the mistakes and I am frightened to death of making a mistake, of not being understood and so on. 
But I am really trying to improve my english by reading, watching videos and so on) But really i would like to have a chance to talk to patient native speaker who would listen to my rubbish English and who would be kind to meHandshake
So I understand that I just have to try over and over...hm...I need to try again..Hug
I need to overcome my fears....I am thinking about it right now...

29 Dec 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

Dear Ljuba,
Well, it is a matter of comparison. If you compare your English with the level of English you had, say, 10 years ago, you can see you have improved greatly! Some people would call you genius!
If you compare your English with a  10-year-old Russian kid - you will hear that your pronunciation is fantastic! :-D
See what I mean? Be satisfied with what you have and then build on the grounds you have...
Once I asked my friend from Texas whether it is a good idea to talk to kids in my family in English and pretend to be "the English Auntie". I have an accent and I make mistakes. Very often. :-D Do I have the right to teach them speaking English? The answer was: Yes! If you can help them to learn English, go for it!
Enjoy yourself while using English! If you are scared, not feeling well, your performance is not the best. Learning and teaching should be done in calm, soothing environment. No worries! Have fun! Learning while having fun is the best!
Jokes, games, role plays, playscripts + friendship helps!

PS: People here are quite busy - teaching so I don�t think you find many native speakers willing to speak with you via internet on a regular basis. Most of the members are working really hard...
Why don�t you  try some other websites, you may find English friends there and you might be able to speak English via Skype, ICQ every day...
Good luck! Don�t worry, your English is great!

29 Dec 2011     

kinniejane
Russian Federation

Dearest Ljuba! U r just at the beginning of ur way, and believe me the best is yet to come! Believe in yourself and keep trying! I am sure you`ll be a great teacher coz` u r eager to be, of course it`ll take u time! No pain, no gain! Nobody is perfect! But who wants to be?  

29 Dec 2011     

kinniejane
Russian Federation

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Sir Winston Churchill

29 Dec 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tQbjqyShlY&feature=related

29 Dec 2011     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >