Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please, help ...    

Please, help ...

lemarja3
Slovenia

Please, help ...

Hi, can anybody help me, please? Is the sentence below OK?
He shot a bird with a catapult (a slingshot).
Thanks for your help.

3 Jan 2012      

libertybelle
United States

A slingshot is the correct because it is small.
A catapult is big and usually is used to larger stones in times of old!

3 Jan 2012     

Mariethe House
France

I beg to differSmile Libertybelle but in British English, catapult is correct for the "weapon" children make (used to make) to kill birds or just throw stones.  I did hear it when i was in England and checked in wordreference. Mind you , do children still play with catapults, slingshots??,Big smile

3 Jan 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/catapult

Sophia

3 Jan 2012     

lemarja3
Slovenia

Thanks, but I still wonder whether the whole expression shot with a catapult is correct. Does it seem OK? Or is it better to say the same sentence in a different way? The sentence is taken from one of the stories about the past ...

3 Jan 2012     

Mar0919
Mexico

Yes, Lemarja, it is OK to use "shot" with either slingshot or catapult.

3 Jan 2012     

lemarja3
Slovenia

Thank you very much, Mar0919.

3 Jan 2012     

Mar0919
Mexico

No problem. Actually I learned a lot myself today, searching for an answer for you. I also had my doubts about the use of the verb. See, we can learn together from each other �s doubts!

Take care!

3 Jan 2012     

Apodo
Australia

...and here in Australia it �s also called a shanghai.

3 Jan 2012     

Mar0919
Mexico

A slingshot is called a shanghai??? How interesting, Apodo! Thank you for sharing this info, it �s very cool when we can make these comments with our students, kind of boosts up our "my-teacher-knows-so-much" image!!!! Wink

4 Jan 2012     

libertybelle
United States

Mariethe - I beg to differ!
Here are two pictures - The slingshot on the left and a tiny catapult on the right.
 no one could hit a bird with a catapult. In olden times catapults were huge and used for smashing the defense walls around a town or castle. They also used them to cast flames.
Children can make slingshots out of a branch and some elastic - not so with a catapult.

4 Jan 2012     

1    2    Next >