Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Pronunciation    

Pronunciation

wysiwyg
France

Pronunciation

The English language being as tricky as we all know it is, I �m trying to make a list of the words that end with an -e that is pronounced /i:/. I �ve found a few of them: coyote, Apache, karaoke, be (of course), we, Truman Capote (well, I don �t think I �ll put this one on the list, being a proper noun), but I �m sure there are plenty of others. I guess I �m too tired to think, and I didn �t find any relevant article on the internet.
Can you help me find some others? Thanks a lot!

31 Jan 2012      

jamiejules
France

recipe...

31 Jan 2012     

madamev
France

aborigine...

31 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

maybe

31 Jan 2012     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Here is a huge list of words that end in e.  Perhaps friends here can go through the list and help pick out the words that have the long e sound at the end.

http://itools.subhashbose.com/wordfind/ending-with/e

31 Jan 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

do the words with double e qualify?
goatee
agree
glee
coffee

acne
yangtze
ante
Cloe
Calliope
posse
ye:)

Sophia

31 Jan 2012     

asungilsanz
Spain

referee

31 Jan 2012     

wysiwyg
France

No double ee in the list, my students know how to say them Wink

31 Jan 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Forgive me if I�m wrong, but isn�t /i:/ part of the �fleece� lexical set, as in Sophia�s first examples... (the �e� in �be� and �apache� are obviously not the same)?

Perhaps you�re looking for what�s usually considered to be the �face� set, phonologically speaking (/e/ or /e:/ in Standard Scottish English)

31 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

Alex, here in the US, at least, the "e" in "be" and "Apache" are the same. (That �s the Indian tribe, not the French violent dance).

Bruce

31 Jan 2012     

bassole sandrine
France

catastrophe

31 Jan 2012     

1    2    Next >