Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > unfaithful    

unfaithful

joy2bill
Australia

Surely we should gear our lessons to
1 the students � age
2 the situation for which they will be needing English in the future
3 whether they need �exam � English or �street � language.
4 the interests of the students.

I teach adults at an advanced level and so almost anything is acceptable. Were I teaching elementary children I would teach completely different things.
My students love slang..I do not base lessons on it but I certainly embrace it if it comes up in class, even if only to correct misunderstandings.
If I had a student using the word �cuckold � I would explain that it is rarely used now except obviously in that movie for some unknown fact.

If we are expected to teach our students formal English which I �m sure most of us do why can �t we teach slang. Surely it �s just another example of register.
Cheers Joy

15 Feb 2012     

douglas
United States

I agree with Joy and Paugyg 100%.  Many words that we now accept as "proper" English were long used as slang first.  Just as children learning about sex (for example) at the busstop without explanations/clarification from their parents or a responsible adult leads to sometimes dangerous misconceptions (and more), I feel that leaving students to learn slang on their own is irresponsible of a teacher. 

As for "cuckold": 56,900,00 hits if you Google it--my experience is that it is still in use and seems to be making a comeback.

Douglas

15 Feb 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

If someone is two-timing their partner, we say they are �playing away from home �, or �having a bit on the side �. �Cuckold � is a wonderfully evocative word - yes, you think of a poor old soul whose wife is running around, but it has really gone out of the language.

15 Feb 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

I guess people on this site don �t read a lot of Dan Savage. He uses "cuckold" (and many other deviant sexual terms) quite a lot. He �s the one responsible for giving Rick Santorum his "Google problem," for example.

15 Feb 2012     

Jayho
Australia

I don�t recall hearing cuckold before.  And I even saw Crazy Stupid Love not that long ago.

�Dropped� is another colloquial expression used when dating.  �He dropped her�,  �They�re not going out anymore, she dropped him�.  You can see it defined here.

�Get rid of� is another. �She cheated on him so he got rid of her�.

I explain slang to my adult students when it is appropriate but I sure hope that no-one asks me to explain Lady Gaga�s disco stick ride.  I�ll suggest they google that one.

15 Feb 2012     

paugyg
Argentina

Well, in the movie Crazy Stupid Love there �s a whole scene in which Steve � Carrell �s character shouts and plays with different forms of the word cuckolds. I believe it �s done to creat a funny effect, since, as I gather from what some of you are saying here, most people find this word to be "out-dated". Here I add the quote so that you can see it why it is so funny and how he plays with the word turning into a verb, a noun, etc. This is the beauty of English language!! The character even makes a point of the fact that the word is not used VERY OFTEN, which means that it �s still in use. And as Douglas said, I believe this word is making a comeback.

[after being dumped by his friend, Cal sits at the bar drinking and ranting]
Cal Weaver: You know a word that is not used very often anymore? Cuckold. I �m cuckolded. David Lindhagen cuckolded me. He made a cuckold out of me. He slept with my wife and I didn �t know about it! And that is the definition of cuckoldom. David Lindhagen took my wife and slept with her. Uuch! Thought I did everything right. Got married, had kids, the house. What do I get for it? I get cuckolded? David Lindhagen cuckolded me, he made a cuckold out of me.

PS, Douglas made an excellent point about slang: Many words that we now accept as "proper" English were long used as slang first.

15 Feb 2012     

paugyg
Argentina

And may I add, that many words that are now know as "slang" words were consider proper or formal. Some of them, even, had a "royal" origin.... 
If you have some knowledge of history, you �ll know that the now infamous "F" word in its origin was an acronym for Fornication Under the Consent of the King. 

15 Feb 2012     

Jayho
Australia

I remember that scene now but it obviously had no lasting impression on me.

I never knew that about the  infamous "F" word.

15 Feb 2012     

paugyg
Argentina

Well, that scene had a lasting impression on me, specially because of the overuse of the word cuckold and how the character makes it a noun, a transitive verb,and intransitive verb. I always love that about English! 

If I remember correctly from my English History classes, they used to write the acronym for the phrase "Fornication Under the Consent of the King" on top of houses � doors to show that the couple in that house was married with approval of the king. 
Just a little example of the comings and goings of the language... how a word that used to be formal is now slang, and how a slang word can become acceptable....

15 Feb 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

"Fornication Under the Consent of the King"?  Yes, and golf originated in "Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden". Oh, and ESL originated in "Er.. Somebody �s Lying".

I �m assuming you �ve got your tongue seriously stuck in your cheek, Paugyg.

15 Feb 2012     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >