Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > unfaithful    

unfaithful

yanogator
United States

@paugyg
There are many incorrect etymologies available for that word, including a few acronyms. They aren �t correct. You can check it (and other "bad" words) out at

These people have thoroughly researched the origins of words and can be accepted (in my opinion) as authorities on the subject.

Bruce

15 Feb 2012     

paugyg
Argentina

@almaz I was not trying to make fun of anyone, I had learned that in my English History classes at University, as part of my Teacher Training Programme, but I guess my teacher got it wrong, and she passed it to us as fact while it is, as I just read, just an "urban legend".

@yanogator Thanks for clarifying that I was referring to a false etimology. I �m sorry if I made things more confusing.

Sorry for writing false information, I should �ve checked it first, but as I have explained, my teacher at University had taught me that, and I trusted her knowledge, boy, was I wrong!
Anyhow, my point about slang still remains the same.

15 Feb 2012     

abba
Spain

Wow!!!! I didn �t imagine I would generate such controversy about teaching slang or not, the fact was that my students asked me the translation for the spanish expression �poner los cuernos �, which is not really spanish slang but it is more common than �enga�ar �. I just wanted a similar expression in English. I have never taught swear words, I think that if they ever go to an English speaking country they �ll learn them there, but as teachers (not only English) we have to teach our students what type of language to use according to the situation, it �s not the same speaking to your classmate, than speaking to your teacher or speaking to your possible boss at a job interview. In fact, it �s the problem I have with Moroccan students, they learn the language from their classmates and the street and then they speak to adults as if they were speaking to a 13-year-old person in the playground. Anyway, I think it �s quite enriching to see different points of view when teaching-lerning a foreign language.
have a very nice day!!!!

15 Feb 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

@paugyg I didn �t suggest you were trying to make fun of anyone. I was hoping you were being a bit tongue-in-cheek, that �s all (did you think I meant �sticking your tongue out at... �?).

15 Feb 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I must confess, I don �t read a lot of Dan Savage, well, I don �t read any! (Who he??? I �m going to have to google him now). But I used to study Restoration comedies - their subject matter is sexual intrigue and the theme of cuckoldry. The word crops up all the time, but these plays are not modern. �Cuckold � sounds funny to native ears, hence that word play from that film people have been quoting is hilarious. I �ll watch out for this word making its come back and will report on this site if ever I see it in print, or hear it and we can have a little chuckle.

15 Feb 2012     

< Previous   1    2    3