Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A skirt related question to native speakers    

A skirt related question to native speakers

ueslteacher
Ukraine

A skirt related question to native speakers

A friend of mine asked me how would you call a fluffy skirt with a broad high waist with over-shoulder straps. She needs it for a fashion show in a primary class:) One of her students wants to wear it and they are going to describe their clothes, so please help. What do you call it in general, or if there �s no specific word for it, then how would you describe it? What �s the name for the fluffy part and what are the over-shoulder straps called? Sorry, I couldn �t find a google image for this one:(
Sophia

16 Feb 2012      

abba
Spain

Maybe, lattice dress?

16 Feb 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

NOOO! As I said it �s a fluffy skirt just with two over-shoulder straps which do not overlap btw.
Something like this + over-shoulder straps (it just seems weird to call them straps as in my mind those are the ones that bags have)
Sorry for the big pic. I�ll remove it as soon as I get the answer.
Sophia

Edit: I figured out the fluffy part - it�s flounce. Now, what about the straps?

16 Feb 2012     

Daisee
Vietnam

To me that is known as a tiered skirt.

Those two straps on the waistband are called belt hooks but is that what you mean?  If it is not, and there are two straps attached to the skirt, like braces, what does she wear with her skirt?  A tee shirt?  Yes?  Then maybe just call them straps or braces. 

Here is a pciture of a puffball skirt with braces

High-street hot 100

Grey puffball skirt with braces, �19.99 at H&M

16 Feb 2012     

mariamit
Greece

Do you mean something like this Sophia?

If this is it you can say an overall skirt with suspenders or a jumper skirt with suspenders. I don �t know if the British use another term.  I hope I �ve helped.

Maria

16 Feb 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I would call the skirt a ra-ra. Don �t call the straps suspenders - in England, those are what you wear to keep your stockings up - maybe suspenders for straps is American? Usually a garment with a skirt, raised waistband and straps is a pinafore. 

16 Feb 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I guess I �ll call it a flounced skirt with braces:)
Thanks!
If native-speakers have a better idea, let us know:)
Sophia

Edit: pinafore? not according to this dictionary http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/pinafore
is ra-ra a popular and widely-used term?

16 Feb 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Oh babe, I AM a native speaker! Just google image �pinafore �. And straps is what those are - in England braces are what guys wear to keep their trousers up. 

16 Feb 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Sorry - it �s rara skirt, no hyphen.

16 Feb 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

got it:)
I did google pinafore and that�s not a skirt I meant.
A rara skirt with straps then?

Sophia

16 Feb 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

http://images.asos.com/inv/media/7/4/3/7/1497347/grey/image1xl.jpg

Hiya. this image might convince you about pinafore dress. And here is a rara

http://www.plusladies.co.uk/images/soul_glory_girls_mini_rara_skirt.jpg. They are an eighties phenomenon, so, no, you don �t see many these days.

I only want to help! And good luck with the show.

16 Feb 2012     

1    2    Next >