Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Politeness in different cultures??    

Politeness in different cultures??

elif hoca
Turkey

Politeness in different cultures??

Hello dear colleagues!!
I have to write an essay about politeness in different cultures is it possible to write your culture �s politeness situations from every country?

8 May 2012      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi Elif!

What type of situations do you have in mind exactly? I believe the topic is quite broaden....

8 May 2012     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Hello!!Interesting theme for an essay!

Here in Portugal , people use many  formal and polite expressions!

Some examples:

-Se faz favor(please);

-Com licen�a(Excuse me);

-Desculpe?(I beg your pardon?)

-Muito obrigado(a)!(Thanks a lot!)

-Poderia(Could you please...)

and much more...

Generally speaking, I would say the majority of Portuguese people are respectful and very polite .

Hope it helps!

8 May 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi again!

Try here:

hope this helps.

8 May 2012     

elif hoca
Turkey

yeah anything could be the topic there is no restriction. But I can say �politeness in communication � is the title :) thanks for your help :)

8 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

In Ukraine students address teachers by their first name and patronymic name and this is polite. The same goes for younger and older colleagues.
Sophia  

8 May 2012     

elif hoca
Turkey

yeah anything could be the topic there is no restriction. But I can say �politeness in communication � is the title :) thanks for your help :)

8 May 2012     

starrr
Brazil

What about SAYING - PRESENT or I am here when students are asked if they came to the classroom and are there to watch the class or they are not?

what we should say?

PRESENT
 or

I am here

and if they are not what we should say?

he is absent??
she is not here?

what we should say?

;-)

8 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

We use present/absent.

I usually say, "Is everybody present?" 
And the ss may say, "No, A.. is absent."/ "Yes, all are present"

What do they use in the native-speaking schools?

Sophia

Edit: I�ve just watched an esl video about British schools and the teacher says "Good morning + s�s name" when she�s doing the roll call and every s raises his/her hand and responds "Good morning, Miss..." (they do it one by one as the teacher addresses them)

8 May 2012     

elif hoca
Turkey

for example how do you show respect to your guests? orr to your family? to your older people?Do you always use �please � while talking to strangers?

8 May 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

Courtesy differs even within the USA. In the South, it is considered polite to offer guests a place to sit and something to drink or eat. If they are staying overnight, you should make sure that they have what they need to sleep, eat, and bathe. Many times, a host or hostess will also try to devote time to making sure guests aren �t bored.

Family courtesy differs greatly from family to family. There �s everything from children running around during dinner time (which I personally dislike, but I have no children) to "children should be seen and not heard." For me, I think family courtesy means treating your family, from grandparents to toddlers, as politely as you do strangers.

Courtesy for senior citizens can be tricky. It is considered undesirable to look old in the USA, so some people are insulted if you treat them as old. Nonetheless, if someone looks old and tired, you should give up a seat on a bus or subway to them (also true for pregnant women, but again be careful). I usually open doors for others even though I �m a woman, but I will go to more trouble (e.g., backtrack) if it is for a senior citizen or a visibly disabled person or someone carrying things.

I generally try to be polite to everyone. I think society works better when you show other people that you believe that they are important and their feelings matter. I am occasionally rude on the road, but I try to be polite most of the time even there.

8 May 2012     

1    2    Next >