Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > can I go to the toilet    

can I go to the toilet

jarek2011
Poland

can I go to the toilet

I need to pick up your brains again. My friend from America said that it was inappropraite to ask "Can/ may I go to the toilet" as it sound very gross to an American ear. Instead, he suggested asking: "Can/ may I go to the bathroom/ restroom?".

I have always taught my studets that the question "Can/ may I go to the toilet?" sounds fine - was I wrong? Or maybe it is one of the many differences between American and British English?

14 May 2012      

savvinka
Russian Federation

Look here:

14 May 2012     

xikillax
Spain

I have been always taught to say �Can/may I go to the toilet? � so, that �s what I teach! But if you are and American English Speaker they do not say the same since they don �t use the word toilet (usually). They usually say bathroom, restroom or john. So, for them it is better to say, can I go to the restroom? So, it �s up to you depending on the version you use and the variety of English you teach with!

14 May 2012     

foose1
United States

I wouldn �t wash my hands in a toilet.  It sounds gross.  Here in Thailand everyone is taught, "may I go to the toilet."  I just say, "please no swimming."    It is just an American and British thing that irked me when I first started teaching English here in Thailand.  No problem, I can live with it.  Just remind who you are teaching that Americans use, restroom/bathroom. 
It is funny that I never heard the word toilet used when I visited the UK so many times before.

John

14 May 2012     

IbuLulu
Australia

I believe there is also a difference in that in American homes, the toilet is located in the bathroom (not so here in Australia, which surprised an American visitor to my home) - so bathroom and toilet are different places for us but possibly not for Americans. And yes, my American colleagues have also said that there is some taboo around the word toilet, it �s not considered very polite apparently, but very normal here in Australia to refer to the toilet without embarassment.

14 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I teach my ss "May I go out?" and the going to the restroom is just asumed.
Sophia

14 May 2012     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I teach my students to ask � �May I please go to the washroom or restroom? � �  It �s ok to use � �toilet � � informally among friends, but I wouldn �t use it in a classroom.

14 May 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�Can I go to the toilet? � is pretty standard in England.

14 May 2012     

Suenios
Sweden

I am very curious Ibululu. Where do you have your toilet?

14 May 2012     

diddy2703
France

it �s funny, because this week I showed an american movie to my ss and they said "bathroom" in it, referring to the toilet, and i had to explain it to them. In france, we can have WC in the bathroom, but it �s usually a separate room in the house, so the bathroom for my ss referred more to the shower and bath tub... 
And I spent some time in england, it �s standard to say "can i go to the toilet?" i think the only time i heard somebody ask me to go to the bathroom was because they really needed a shower after drinking too much ^^

14 May 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

This is from Wikipedia:

"The word toilet may also be used, especially in British English to describe the room containing the fixture for which euphemisms such as restroom or bathroom are used in American English."

By the way, did you know that the first person to patent a design for a flush toilet was Alexander Cummings?

14 May 2012     

1    2    Next >