Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I´ve been argueing with my colleagues! So please help!    

I´ve been argueing with my colleagues! So please help!

saninfe
Spain

I agree with eng789. I referred to those possibilities although I prefer the one with WHO.

8 Jan 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

For sure, the answer is WHOM.
Why?
Because who is always a subject and whom is always an object form.

In your sentence you have already a subject - you .

" The success of a shared holiday depends on ________ you shared it with".
Let�s rewrite the sentence..
You ( subject ) share ( verb ) holiday ( direct object )  with someone ( object )

8 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

" The success of a shared holiday depends on ________ you shared it with"

A. who            B. whom                    C. whoever

*** The pronoun ��whom�� in this case is an Indirect object which also is used in a prepositional phrase.

So the preposition often stands before whom ��with whom�� or at the end of the sentence substituying whom for who : �� who.....with�� (natural Engligh)

The answer is WHO because of the way the sentence is constructed. Who and whom are used in these two ways ( in this sentence) :

The success of a shared holiday depends on with whom you shared it. (very formal)

The success of a shared holiday depends on who you shared it with. (natural spoken english)

Thumbs Up this it it!

8 Jan 2009     

annabelle1654
Germany

I learned that you turn the sentence around and if you would say "shared it with him" then him is the correct answer. But I also agree with melissamoreno12, about formal and informal speech.  Just thought I�d weigh in.  Belles

8 Jan 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I agree with Zora.  This is what I found on English page.

Who" is a Subject Pronoun"Who" is a subject pronoun like "he," "she" and "we" in the examples above. We use "who" to ask which person does an action or which person is a certain way.

Who made the birthday cake?   Who is in the kitchen?   Who is going to do the dishes?

"Whom" is an Object Pronoun

"Whom" is an object pronoun like "him," "her" and "us." We use "whom" to ask which person receives an action.

Examples:   Whom are you going to invite?   Whom did he blame for the accident? Whom did he hire to do the jo

8 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Guys the answer is WHO !!!

8 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

Actually if you read my one answer carefully, you will see that the correct answer to "the original" question is "whoever"... 

8 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

It might be

But I still think the answer is �� WHO��

��Whoever�� means  more like ��any person�� and in this sentence I got the feeling they are trying to say that it�ll be crucial the person for the result of your holidays.

WHO

8 Jan 2009     

kelechikwu
United States

Hello teachers!

This is the best and the worst question to ask English teachers! The language is almost alive and constantly changing AND it is different in different countries. Everyone will have their own opinions and argue till the end. However, we can learn new things this way.

I live in the US. Here it is almost unheard of "whom". We don�t usually use words such as lift, (but elevator), flat (but apartment), and so on. Just like many other words, whom was substituted by "who" to make the life easier. So, depending on where you live either "who" or "whom" would be correct. However, if you are teaching British English than the explanation about the difference between these two (that was given earlier) will make "whom" the correct choice.

So about the argument with your colleagues, everyone who said either "who" or "whom" is correct. No winner, sorry!

Good luck! :)

8 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

Sorry, hate to tell you but direct substitution is what you need to do in case of doubt and "whoever" is the only option that make any sense without changing the original sentence in any way.

Even if you used "any person" (which by the way should be "whatever person" if you use direct substitution) the sentence still makes way more sense than the others...

" The success of a shared holiday depends on any people/person you shared it with"

than:

" The success of a shared holiday depends on HIM you shared it with"

" The success of a shared holiday depends on HE you shared it with"

8 Jan 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >