Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I´ve been argueing with my colleagues! So please help!    

I´ve been argueing with my colleagues! So please help!

MissMelissa12
Peru

Of course ��language�� is ��felixble�� and is set to changes everyday.

I know ��whom�� is not very used in the US never the less in British English is used. Althought, it still a bit formal to use it even there.

But there must be one correct answer. I strongly believe ��whom...with�� is not correct at all.

In other cases, if there are two possible answers it�d be ��who�� or ��whoever��

I am pretty sure that ��whom you share it with�� is not correct at all.

8 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

but

The success of a shared holiday depends on any people (whoever)or THE PEOPLE (who) you shared it with.

I would still choose WHO=the people

8 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

For me the answer is "whoever" ... I did the substitution because I was told my first choice "whom" was incorrect.... So, instead of saying that I was right and it couldn�t be anything else, I worked it out according to given grammar rules...

NOW, I am not saying to us natives "who and whom" don�t sound wonderfully correct... cause they do BUT grammatically "whoever" is the correct answer... *shrugs*

If someone can convince me with examples that I am wrong, I will bow to them gracefully and say they are indeed correct, otherwise...I hate to say this but it is "whoever"... Wink

PS: When you substitute you must use "subject pronouns" and "objects" NOT another word that could substitute it... like "the people" ... "The party" "my sister"...

8 Jan 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

I agree with Zora.. �who� or �whoever�.  Even if �whom� is grammatically correct (which I don�t think it is) .... does anyone actually say �whom� in this day and age... I don�t think so. Just a bit old fashioned or �posh�.  Sorry but sometimes you can�t always go by the grammar rules.

give and take thats what I say... xx greetings Yeti xx

8 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

this is what makes me choose �� who��

1. I looked up in the dictionary:
    who= the person that,
     whoever= ->no matter who since the result will be the same. (and in the sentence it does matter who)
                      ->the person or people who.  
   * Who and whoever have these similar meanings as you can see "the person that" and "the  person or people who" So this kind of makes me doubt.

2. We are trying to use an INDIRECT OBJECT PRONOUN in that sentence, the most correct GRAMATICALLY should be ��whom�� but since the preposition is at the end...it seems they are testing if we know the other way to use THAT INDIRECT OBEJCT when there is a preposition. And the other way is �" who.... with"

If we put "whoever" it really makes sense for me as well. I don�t think is incorrect. But I think according to what they are asking me and the sense of the sentence mixed with the meaning given in the dictionary of both. WHO still be the answer for me.

I respect your opinion ZORA... You are a native teacher, you seem to have more experience so yeap you make me doubt of my answer.

Both are fine for me WHO and WHOEVER but if i HAVE to choose one I�dstill choose WHO (following my own knowledge and perception)

the dictionaries I used are:

Oxford Advanced Dictionary. Edited by Sally Wehmeier. Edition 2003.
Webster�s II New College Dictionary. Houghton Mifflin Company. Edition 2000

8 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

I have had tons of experience with these exams preparing students for First and Proficiency... and while you are right in your thinking Melissa, here we must pick only "one" answer and they are always grammar focused not subjective. Also the "with" at the end is a "trick", nothing else... *sneaky sneaky Wink*

Which would mean the student would substitute directly if not sure what the answer is, i.e.  - "whom - for an object like her, him" , "who - for he, she..." , "whoever - whatever person/people." 

But anyways, it doesn�t matter too much since most of us really don�t need to worry about such things... I have class bye Melissa, sorry I am such a stubborn mule! Tongue

8 Jan 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3