Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > " ŋ" and "n"    

" ŋ" and "n"

moravc
Czech Republic

It might look simple to distinguish "n" and "ŋ" but it seems to be a problem for Spanish speakers...

The same problem arises in distinguishing "
e", " ə" and "ďż˝" sound - bad x bed. Czechs seem to not to be able to hear the difference easily....

Marianna, it will take some time, but you will mangage to hear
"n" and "ŋ". Good luck!

14 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I wonder why? Don �t they have the word jalape�o?

Sophia

14 Jul 2012     

maryse peyďż˝
France

I was taught that each "country" has its own way to decipher the sounds. We, French people, are the poorest in possibilities of identifying "twin" pronunciation. For example "sin" and "thin".

When we are very young our ear is able to identiy every possible emitted sound and our vocal cords can easily reproduce the differences. When we are 21 the range of identification for the foreign sounds is unfortunately definite and our vocal cords are "sculpted" within our everyday range of pronunciation.

Someone having studied 7 different languages when they were young are able to reproduce the widest range of sounds !!! How lucky they are !

So phonetics are only some code and means of simplefying our common understanding. Think of the opera singers who have to learn by heart foreign texts they even do not understand...

Languages are spoken in the way people are usually living in their country. For example English, or every other Saxon language, is actually difficult for Latin rooted speaking people. As Eastern languages are not easily deciphered in their way of thinking...

That is why languages are fascinating and so rich for the ones who love them !

14 Jul 2012     

Minka
Slovenia

" ŋ"  is the sound of "n" in "bank" or "bang". Say "n" the way as if it ďż˝s going to be followed by "g", but don ďż˝t say the "g". 

15 Jul 2012     

frenchfrog
France

This animation might help you: http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/english/frameset.html (The sounds of American English) (then click on ďż˝nasal ďż˝)

15 Jul 2012     

kodora
Greece

At present I am reading a book that presents a theory about learning foreign languages and why we face problems during the learning process.I found the greek edition.
Alfred Tomatis  "Nous sommes tous nés polyglottes"
I think You might find it interesting.
Have a nice Sunday!
Dora

15 Jul 2012     

bakimustafa
Algeria

hi dear colleague i guess that the first sound is produced when the"n" is followed by (k,g)

15 Jul 2012     

libertybelle
United States

The only difference I can feel or hear between think and thing - is that the K sound is shorter and ends the word faster than thing - where it feels as if the word resonates longer on the G.
Does that make sense?

15 Jul 2012     

PhilipR
Thailand

Keep it simple.

Can you not hear the difference between the words sin and sing?

Try other easy ones, e.g.

Ban, bang
Thin, thing

Practise and listen more until you can hear it. Then move on to word pairs such as thing/think (which both have the ng sound).

15 Jul 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Mari 18cf,

Here are some Minimal Pairs for you, to practise.

ban:bang can:cang Chan:chang clan:clang Dan:dang fan:fang gan:gang Han:hang Lan:lang man:mang pan:pang ran:rang San:sang span:spang Stan:stang tan:tang van:vang yan:yang Wann:wang

bin:Bing din:ding Flynn:fling ginn:ging kin:king Lynne:ling Min:Ming pin:Ping rin:ring sin:sing tin:ting thin:thing win:wing yin:Ying Zin:zing

bun:bung dun:dung fun:fung gun:gung Hun:hung Lunn:lung pun:pung run:rung sun:sung stun:stung tun tung

Bon:bong con:Kong Don:dong gone:gong Lon:long mon:mong non:nong pon:pong Ron:wrong Sonn:song tonne:tong wan(wonn):Wong

en:eng Len:leng men:meng

Boyne:boing Doyne:doing

I hope that these help you.

Les

15 Jul 2012     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >