Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > " ŋ" and "n"    

" ŋ" and "n"

mari_18cf
Brazil

Hey guys, thanks for all the answers. Do I really have to touch my tong in the roof of my mouth like I saw in "french frog" post?

I have never done this!

I got that one is N and the other is NG (without pronouncing totaly the G/ what is quite difficult) , but sometimes they seem almost identical for me. Bl����

15 Jul 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

The n letter in bang and bank is the /ŋ/ sound. The difference is that in bank, the end is denasalized and devoiced, in other words, a /k/. The /ŋ/ sound is pronounced at the same place as /g/ and /k/, but with the nasopharynx open like /m/ or /n/. The /�/ (not IPA but I don �t feel like cut-pasting and you know what I mean) sound is an alveo-palatal nasal, articulated at the same place as sh or ch.

That �s a problem learning new languages. What sounds like two distinct sounds to an English speaker sound the same to many of you. It �s even worse in the vowels than the consonants. I don �t know enough Portuguese to give examples going the other way, but I have problems differentiating a French /�/ from an English schwa, even though I know they are different sounds.

15 Jul 2012     

libertybelle
United States

Mari - it �s the middle of your tongue  not the tip of your tongue.

As long as we �re in the learning corner:
tongue is pronounced like = tung  

A tong is a thing you pick up things with - it �s NOT a tongue.
These are tongs:

15 Jul 2012     

mari_18cf
Brazil

Hey libertybelle! I knew about this! but thanks anyway. I wrote wrongly. :)

16 Jul 2012     

mari_18cf
Brazil

MoodyMoody, all these tecnical terms make it even more difficult for learners. It confuses me a lot. 

16 Jul 2012     

< Previous   1    2    3