Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Re. thanks on worksheets    

Re. thanks on worksheets

libertybelle
United States

Re. thanks on worksheets

I just went through all the fine, new Worksheets!Thumbs Up

I usually don�t complain about leaving or not leaving a thank you -
but........... I wonder why so many Worksheets already downloaded here
at 12 midnight all have a thank you and I have none?
I mean - how busy can you be at 12 midnight? huh???

I work really hard on my materials
and ALWAYS - I repeat...ALWAYS
leave a thank you.

Sorry to complain, but this makes me sad.
I�m going to bed.
L

17 Jan 2009      

sarahgriffin
Ireland

Yes, I have 17 downloads on a ws and only one thank you!!!!!

17 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Well, I�d say �thanks� & related issues have been on the front page of the forum A LOT again. This would definitely have an influence on user�s perceptions.

With regard to why the pair of you don�t have them - I don�t know. I left a few comments today - generally constructive rather than just �thank you�.

Loved your �Let�s Dance� sheets too, sarahgriffin!

Don�t let  the turkeys (including me) get you down LB! You know I�ll leave a comment when I download a sheet from you - just not only �thank you�. Hopefully something with a little more �meat on the bones�.

Cheers,
ab

17 Jan 2009     

sarahgriffin
Ireland

Yes alien boy I got that message, thank you very much!!!!

It is one of my favourite exercises to use at the beginning of a new group!!

I have one or two more lessons quite like that on different topics that I may post up after a while too!!

thanks for the kind comments!!

17 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

I dont want to sound rude, but I kinda share the same idea with AB...
A comment could be just a ��politness thing�� rather than really giving a comment which will be useful for the person who makes the worksheet. That is why I don�t see the big deal of leaving THANK YOU�s when downloading. Unless I really really feel like commenting something- despite the fact I of course respect and admire the work they put on their worksheets- I�ll leave a comment with a little more than just a THANK YOU.

I mean it�s natural to like comments, and it is a motivation for us. But I don�t think it is such a BIG DEAL about it. Whoever wants to comment on my worksheet then do it. If  you dont feel like, then don�t. I am just happy with the fact that you downloaded it.

This `forum topic is getting so ...  I dont know. Let�s just leave people feel free to comment or not and let�s stop judge others-It�s what I think-

Well now that we all know some of you really really love the comments , when I download one of your works I�ll leave a comment for sure and the others will do the same, I�m pretty sure.
You are so creative, LB as  I can see . I�m sure you  dont need so many comments anyway. Everybody on this site knows you and your kind of work I�m sure.

My respect for all of you!!

Miss Melissa.

Hug

17 Jan 2009     

pink4 (Virginia)
Uruguay

I totally agree with you. I�ve just checked my account and many people have been downloading my worksheets and I�ve only received 4 comments. BTW they were great! I think we should insist on people thanking. It�s a matter of good manners.

17 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

And just how do you think you will enforce the �Thanks Policing Policy�, Earthling?!

I�m not in �The Insistence� ...

I�m in �THE RESISTANCE�!

LOL      Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha     Dead

17 Jan 2009     

elfelena
Russian Federation

Why complain of not receiving thank you?!
Make conclusions.
Don�t judge people.

I say �thank you� to those whose worksheets I really liked.
It�s strange to ask to leave comments. It�s the same as asking for downloading! If nobody downloads, then the worksheet doesn�t look nice and interesting... if nobody leaves a comment, then it means that though it looked interesting after we downloaded and looked through we understood that it�s not useful for us or it�s a plain copy from the book with adding some of your own words !!!

Be grateful for not receive bad comments!

Everything may turn worse!

No comments is better than bad comments on your worksheets.
Do you agree?

P.S.
When this site only appeared Victor had time to look through worksheets and say to teachers that, for example: "We won�t publish your contribution. It�s too primitive. You took text from here and picture from there"
So, there were not so much worksheets on the site but all of them were worthy downloading and leaving comments. Now there are a lot of teachers who send their printables and like children wait for hearing thank you and are complainning if nobody likes their work. It�s really something!!!

17 Jan 2009     

eng789
Israel

I try to always say "thanks" but I really don�t have time to write more.  I sometimes add that it would be nice if there were some questions with the text.

If someone downloads my work it means they- like it - need it - or can revise it to suit their needs.

So, why is it so important to get comments?  Not having someone download your work is the "STRONGEST " comment you can get.

17 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Leave a constructive comment if you are serious about leaving comments. If you criticise a worksheet give suggestions to improve it. If something works well you can say so. Comments/feedback don�t only help just the uploader but also the downloader - ideas & possible solutions!

This doesn�t mean you have to duplicate another�s already well considered opinion.

Wink
Long live THE RESISTANCE!

17 Jan 2009     

mena22
Portugal

I must insist! Sorry!

As I�ve said before, I think it is very sad that most members of this wonderful community don�t leave a thank you note when they make a download of someone else�s work. 
        It is sad
      - not because they don�t praise us for our work, for, as you�ve said, the simple fact they download our worksheets is a sign they liked them;

-  not because they don�t leave  a comment with the quality or the substance that we would consider important to improve our work  -  not that it wouldn�t be great, it sure would, but, let�s face it,  it would be asking too much,  for we may have time to do it once in a while, but definitely not on a regular basis;

-  not because we think that a higher number of comments is equal to top quality work  - we have gone through that before and I believe we all agreed one doesn�t necessarily mean the other;

-  finally, not because we don�t treasure the comments we get or feel that they are not enough. WE DO, those people who take the time to leave a simple thank you note are the main reason why we keep sharing our work. They are the reason why we love this site so much.

So, what�s the real sad thing about this?

For me, personally, it is the lack of manners, of politeness.
It is the indifference towards the other, not seeing the person behind the worksheet or the screen.  That�s what this is all about!

We take something, we say thank you. And we mean it... 

It�s as simple as that. As basic as that.

A nice day to you all.
mena

17 Jan 2009     

1    2    3    Next >