Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > looking for a song    

looking for a song

MarionG
Netherlands

looking for a song

Dear colleagues,
I �m stuck...I am about to finish a chapter on family relations and will soon start a new chapter which deals with months of the year, seasons, weather etc. 
I am looking for a song to use in class as a kind of �break � between the two chapters.
I would love to do a song that is at least somewhat related to one of the chapters.
My students love contemporary music (adele etc.) but their level is very low....
In the past I have used "here comes the sun" (weather) and "You �ve got a friend" (seasons) but since they are a bit old fashioned I am looking for something more modern. 
I am sure there are tons of songs that at least mention the weather, the year, some family members something....but I can �t seem to think of any, at least not something contemporary and easy enough...
Any suggestions are welcome, as I mentioned, my students have a very low level. They are 10-11 considering themselves 17. The song doesn �t need to be about family or years/weather etc. It is enough if it gets mentioned somehow..

20 Oct 2012      

Dipper
Portugal

Hello!
I once went to a workshop about songs in English class and we talked about using this song with family, it �s fun! :)
Good luck!

20 Oct 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi MarionG!

Take a look and see if find out anything interesting for your kids.

Hope this helps.

20 Oct 2012     

ELOJOLIE274
France

I love family portrait by P!nk but it �s a bit gloomy maybe...

20 Oct 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

Dipper, it is indeed a great feel good song but probably even older than the ones I worked with before, I am not sure my students can appreciate it...thanks for trying to help anyway, very much appreciated!
ascincoquinas, is it possible to search the site for other topics? I will definitely dig into the list when the subject friendship comes up, looks like a nice collection. would be nice if it had a similar list for family or weather, months or something..
elojolie, the song you suggest is really beautiful. It is indeed a bit heavy for my students, most of them, sadly, do come from problematic families so they could definitely relate to the words but they are only 10-11 years old and on top of that their English is minimal. i am not even sure they would be able to handle �Here comes the sun ☺ �.....

20 Oct 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

@ MarionG:

If you google "music about frienship/war/hate/drugs.....and so on. The link will direct you straight to the topic you are looking for. The best part is that you can find some oldies and recent ones. Give it a try!

ascincoquinas.

20 Oct 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

@ascinoquinas
Wow, I simply thought my question was to vague for google but I was wrong!!
I followed your suggestion and was amazed to find endless lists of songs...it will take some time to sift thru them but I will surely find something appropriate!
thank you for showing me not to underestimate google!

20 Oct 2012     

lurdesilva
Portugal

Hi MarionG!

Last year I used two nice songs that worked wonderfully with my students because they are different. They are not modern and not well-known but my students had a lot of fun and still sing them from time to time. One is "The weather song" and the other is about family. I downloaded both videos on YouTube. You can find the song about family here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDeh7kzXQrc . I can �t find the link to the other song bu I can send you the video by e-mail if you �re interested - it �s a kids song but rich in vocabulary related to the topic and nice to listen to.

Lurdes

20 Oct 2012     

EstherLee76
Peru

When my class studied "Mrs. Doubtfire" we did the song "Mother-In-Law" by Ernie K Doe.  It �s very old but very funny.  The movie also features "Papa �s got a brand new bag" by James Brown.  Also very old but my students love James Brown.

"When September ends" by Green Day is more modern and has some lyrics about seasons.

I love using music in my classes!

E

20 Oct 2012     

monicaviseu
Portugal

Hi Marion G!

What about "Our house" by Madness?
It has a lot of vocabulary related to the topic family and the tune is quite nice.
The videoclip is cool too.
My students liked it.

M�nica

21 Oct 2012     

[email protected]
United States

I use Daughters by John Mayer.  My students and I love the song.  I have a cloze exercise for it that I can upload in the near future.

Reva :-)

21 Oct 2012     

1    2    Next >