Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Possibly a strange request?...    

Possibly a strange request?...

sarahgriffin
Ireland

Possibly a strange request?...

Hi there guys

Admittedly, this is a little off topic, but I can�t think of a better place to ask this question than to a forum full of teachers!!

While I understand that many of you may have whiteboards, and the very privileged may even have interactive boards, but in my school we are still using blackboards!!

It seems a silly problem, but after a day of writing on the board, holding chalk, the skin on my hands becomes rough, and I can�t wait to get home to moisturise them!!

What Im looking for is some kind of a chalk holder, if anyone knows where I can buy one, like ebay or something, could they let me know please?

thanks
sarah

23 Jan 2009      

frenchfrog
France

US:
UK:

23 Jan 2009     

xcharo
Spain

I tried to use a holder and either the chalk kept falling all the time or it broke. So now I keep a box of wet tissues like the ones for babies at hand and I clean my hands with them. They are quite moistening and keep my hands soft. This is like an ad! 

23 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

Sarah,

Any decent stationary store should carry this item. I have seen them before.But I have search a few websites in the Uk and come up blank. But I checked a Canadian website for the same company and they do have the item...

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=&webid=37597&affixedcode=WW

Maybe try them out and see if they can send it to you?

23 Jan 2009     

sarahgriffin
Ireland

thank you very much everyone!!  Clap

23 Jan 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I have a plastic chalk holder -and I love it.
The chalk doesn�t break and it keeps most of the chalk off my hands.
Why don�t you wash your hands after class and carry moisturizer in your school bag?

L

23 Jan 2009     

sarahgriffin
Ireland

going from class to class I wouldn�t have time to visit the bathroom to wash my hands each time.  I do this when I get the chance, but to be perfectly honest, I also hate the feel of the chalk on my hands!!!

The pictures of those chalk holders above look brilliant!

23 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Well the problem with chalks more than my hand�s caring, its the breathing problems they cause because of the dust they expulse, even the non allergic ones. I am more sorry for my lungs, throat and voice than my hands indeed.

Although, I know what you mean, Im sure those plastic chalk holders wil be the best. They don�t exist in Peru as far as I am unknown- what a pitty!!

P.s I want those plastic chalk holders, would they have it on amazone? or ebay? If you have a webpage to buy it online and get it in Peru, it�d be awesome. I work with white board, interactive wall as well and use markers but still, I might not be so lucky in other schools.

23 Jan 2009     

mkmazo
Israel

I was in the same situation once. :( That was years ago and noone heard about "plastic chalk holders". We used to make them from old lipstik containers :) Just put chalk inside instead of lipstik and you�ll be able to twist it out and back and cover it. Very comfortable!!

23 Jan 2009     

sviviana
Portugal

In Portugal, almost all the stationers have chalk holders, I have one just like the ones on �the picture libertybelle sent!
Even the School book editors sometimes send�chalk holders as a gift when the school adopts their books!

If you are really desperate, I can send you one!�

Kisses from Portugal

23 Jan 2009     

sarahgriffin
Ireland

thats an excellent idea!!

23 Jan 2009     

1    2    Next >