Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Hey, Hey, do come and play, Here īs the new Word of the Day!!    

Hey, Hey, do come and play, Here īs the new Word of the Day!!

MarionG
Netherlands

Hey, Hey, do come and play, Here īs the new Word of the Day!!

Sorry for the dely, I didn īt know I was the chosen one!

Here is a new word to unleash your imagination. Please give an alternative meaning for the word:

Accubation

Anything goes, silly or serious, wacky or tacky, anything but the real meaning. I īll choose a winner by the end of the weekend and in the mean time I īll lean back and relax while I enjoy your entries....

1 Mar 2013      

isa2
Austria

Battery probation

1 Mar 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

That īs when they put you in an ugly cubicle because you īre a new guy/girl and they don īt think you deserve an office...
Sophia

1 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It īs a body shape that comes on with old age. Just as rotundity means roundish, accubation means taking on the shape of a cube. People like this usually attract the nickname of īDicey �.

1 Mar 2013     

maryse pey�
France

This is a new kind of modern phobia Alan C. Jekyll (Jekyll īs grand grand grandson) has discovered.

Imagine a painter who can only paint cubes and bats of all colors everywhere or a sculptor who can īt help making shapes of cubes and bats. Finally realising that they can īt put their bats in their cubes because they are the wrong size, they become nut nut after an "accubation" of 3 wrong cubes for 9 right bats...

Here is the photo of the virus infecting people... Be careful not to be stricken !

1 Mar 2013     

alex1968
Greece

Well, MarionG, to be honest I īm rather surprised that you posted this word. Despite being a medical term, it īs therapy is rather controversial even in today īs advanced modern world...
Read on to find out more...if you dare....

Since pimples occur mainly in youth when hormones are raging wild, lack of intercourse has been thought to play some role in this condition. (Way back it was considered number 1 culprit!)

In such cases, a dermatologist might recommend accubation therapy especially for those who have to rely on themselves -DIY - if you wish.

So accubation  is actually a therapy of acute masturbation needed in order to get rid of unwanted and unsightly acne, especially in youth.

This therapy could in fact be the origin of the urban legend of masturbation causing acne. 
Now is a good time to set the facts straight, it īs actually the therapy and not the cause!

(Sorry, couldn īt resist! It just popped into my mind. If anyone is offended, please let me know and I īll remove my contribution)

1 Mar 2013     

douglas
United States

AC-air conditioning
cubation- a derivitive of "incubation" (where you put little chickies)  

It īs where you put someone that is having problems with extremely hot weather.

1 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@alex1968 LOL

1 Mar 2013     

ohermann
Czech Republic

Sorry for using a dictionary in this competition. But I must add another explanation. A very old dictionary of mine, which was printed during the communist period of my country, says that it is the term designating a famous period of Cuban history during which alternating current was introduced into the country.

AC = alternating current
   CUBA = a communist state in the Caribbean on the island of Cuba
           TION = an old form of colloquial suffix

Oto Wink

1 Mar 2013     

sarguero
Spain

Accubation is the effect of drinking too much cuba-libres

1 Mar 2013     

mariobmoreno
Spain

Well, as far as I know, the term �accubation � makes reference to the way in which ancient Greeks and Romans used to eat. So, the act of lying relaxed on a couch or bed (perhaps watching TV, or just doing nothing) and eating and/or drinking something (snacks, sandwiches...) that generally rests on your belly (working as a tray!!).

Mario Tongue

1 Mar 2013     

1    2    Next >