Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Some things that annoy me    

Some things that annoy me

Im Lety
Mexico

Hi...

What�s all this about?

That each user upload different themes each day or some of the same topic just tow or three times? ...     Why...?

Is not an abligation to upload different topics or the same or whatever...If I have some WSs about the same topic...Why not to share them with you all!!!

We all here to share the work we do and we have done...

In my case I have uploaded material that I have for years not just the ones that I used this week or last week etc...

If I have an exercise about  time ago and I believe that will be useful for someone else and  I think �Ill share it�!...And I just upload it...

Users here do not do the rules, and rules are very clear on the  F.A.Q...

We have the option about what we will upload...

If you people search any especific topic for your necesities and you did not find it on the new WSs...You  can go to old WSs and there is great material, and not only download the new exercises but the ones that you really need...

Sorry if Im kind of rude its just that im really tired to read so many people complaining about �others�work...Every day is the same...We are  here to �share�and thats it...

25 Jan 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I tend to agree with ImLety.   Over the years we have accumulated many worksheets and why not share what we have.  Some of the members do not teach only one class per day with the same group, but several different classes per day to different  groups, therefore you may have different worksheets for different needs.

I have seen some worksheets on this site that surpass anything you can find in a text book, and I truly admire the people who take the time and effort to share their work with us.  I have never believed there is a race to submit worksheets.  My belief is that most members submit them out of passion and  inspiration in the work they do.

Sorry, if I sound blunt but it is something I needed to say.

25 Jan 2009     

missola
Palestine

I think I�ve said enough and it is ok to tell what you think if it is said politely. I don�t know why some people take it personally eventhough I said that I�m talking in general and don�t mean anyone in particular and all what I wanted is to pay the attention to these matters.

It�s right that we are here to share but it�s not a sin to care too

good night

25 Jan 2009     

missola
Palestine

GIOVANNI
I totally understand what you are saying and I agree with you but please don�t forget that I�m a teacher too and I know what I was saying. I have many worksheets on the same topic that I downloaded from this site and others that I did myself but when I talked about the repitition of some topics, I wanted to pay your attention (all contributors) there are different fields of english that need to be dealt with. It is not because I need some work related to other topics (because if it was so I would have asked for help) but because this will help us as teachers to be familiar and well acquainted with things that we don�t encounter in classes or find in our books

25 Jan 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I like you, also care, and you are right in saying "it�s not a sin to care".  It�s  fine to express our opinions.  This is what the forum is for.  I don�t think people took it personally in what you said and you have every right to express your opinion.  Good night and have a great week-end. 

25 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Hi Missola, my reply is answering your "why are there so many sheets on the same topic" issue and I want to use myself as an example.

People don�t learn how to do something from one lesson. Unless you are super wonderful at learning languages.

For the past year I have been learning Swedish. To learn Swedish prepositions we obviously had lessons on it in class, I did my own study and I also did 40 (YES 40!!!!) worksheets on my own to help my understanding.

We then had a test on prepositions in class. I was feeling confident I had put in masses of work. I didn�t pass. Because I still didn�t fully understand it. I am sure that I have holes in my brain that the new knowledge flows out of when I m not looking.....

It is the same with learning English, you need LOTS of worksheets and activities and lessons on the SAME topic to go over and review and make sure that the student actually KNOWS and UNDERSTANDS the concept and CAN apply it. It needs to be revisited again and again during the year, adding to the knowledge already obtained an continuing to ensure that the knowledge is kept.
I am an excellent example of a student who needs this!!!!!

For the past three months I have stopped going to class because I am now working. My Swedish language skills have taken a nosedive. My reading skills have dropped, I keep forgetting my vocabulary and grammar.
I need constant repetition of the basics so I can continue to build up my Swedish language base. This is true too for students who are learning english I would imagine.

You also need to understand that in any week many teachers here have several classes a day, from ages ranging to very young through to pensioners.
every country does things differently. I remember Zora who teaches in Spain telling me recently that the Spanish system is very grammar focused.

I have conversational classes with pensioners that are just conversation based, then I have other classes that because they are 2 1/2 hour sessions I have reading, listening, a grammar point and conversation/role play activities. Last year though I had 40 minute sessions with children ranging from 3 years old to 15 years old, with sometimes 9 different students a day all at different schools. My point is, is that everyone�s situation is different, our needs are different and unique to the schools, children and adults that we teach.

I have never been so inspired in my whole teaching career as I have by the members who contribute their wonderful work here!

25 Jan 2009     

missola
Palestine

cheezels

thanx for making things clear to me. actually I don;t want to talk much about the subject anymore because I totally understand what you mean. I know that things differ and I myself made hundreds of grammar worksheets and still make simply because my students don�t have grammar books and the grammar lessons are integrated in the reading texts. Sice this isn�t enough I have to make my own lessons and every year I make new worksheets because I don�t like to repeat my self.
When I said english is not only grammar I really meant it because grammar itself has different fields to talk about. Those who are great in creating excellent worksheets why don�t they try new things and new topics then they will excel themselves. that was my point and what makes me really upset is that some understood this differently and thought that I�m trying to make rules in this site which something I never did and will never do.

thanx again for clarifying things and I do totally undestand this.

have a nice time

25 Jan 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3