Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > People advertising their websites    

People advertising their websites

cunliffe
United Kingdom

People advertising their websites

Hi everyone. I �ve noticed that recently, a number of members are advertising their website on the forum and some are doing it very frequently. I �m not complaining, but isn �t it against the rules? And if some are doing it, why shouldn �t we all? I would think that more and more of us will start up websites, I �ve even got one myself (it �s rubbish) and if we all did it, well.... That �s not really the purpose of this forum. 

However it is nice to know about other members � websites. Does anyone think it �s worth asking Victor if he can set up a page for those who want to advertise their websites? 
Lynne

25 Aug 2013      

boydegg
Thailand

Hi Lynne

I �m guilty of this, but I don �t mean to abuse the ESLprintables forum. I only post a link to my site when I �m offering to share some kind of resource with the users here: a board game, a card game, a comic, a video ... something that can be used in class.

However, I also have printables uploaded here for sharing and I sometimes contribute to the forum in other ways, such as commenting on other people �s posts and helping with advice or information where I can.

Hope it �s okay.

Brian

Grammarman comic

25 Aug 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Grammarman, your work is brilliant and if it hadn �t been posted on here, I wouldn �t know about it. I certainly don �t mean to point the finger at anybody and even if I did, it wouldn �t be at you. As you say, you offer to share a resource. But have I got a point? Would a special page of a list of members with websites be a good idea? 

Lynne

25 Aug 2013     

maestralidia
Italy

Hi Lynne I don �t mean to abuse the ESLprintables forum. I only post a link to my site when I �m offering to share some kind resources with the other techers in the world. my site it �s free for everyone and there isn �t any purpose or advertising. simply offering my works to the others as I do when I upload on Eslprintables. I saw that many people post links about various topics. I think it �s useful for everybody. bye. Lidia

25 Aug 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Dear Lynne, 
As you might remember we �ve had some pretty heated discussions regarding this issue before.
ESLP has a bookmarks section which can be a solution. 
Also, every user who has got a website has a link to it in their profile. Some users sign off their posts with a link to their website.
And you �re right there �s a line in the rules which says, "Those messages which are considered spam by the administrator will be removed (such as using the forum with the sole purpose of advertising your website)."
Now, if a person has just set up a website and is seeking advice from more experienced members, I don �t see the reason why they shouldn �t (that �s my personal opinion).
Then, sometimes we need support/feedback/comments for our students � project and inevitably we come for help to the forum, the meeting place for so many professional teachers.
There are also people who occasionally offer free resources which are posted on their website but for some reason cannot be uploaded here and that would classify as sharing IMHO.
On the other hand, if someone repeatedly posts threads "Please visit my site", that, I think, is unfair to other forum posters.

Sophia

25 Aug 2013     

tashaleks
Spain

Wine... Chocolate... Links to our sites...

Everything in moderation IMO Wink

25 Aug 2013     

olaola
Italy

@tashaleks    Thumbs Up

25 Aug 2013     

ggroneet
Israel

I agree with you that maybe there should be a section for that kind of publishing.

I post my blog when I have got a new article on it so teachers can read what I write.

I personally like when people advertise their sites/blogs becasue other wise I would nevre find them.
:)

25 Aug 2013     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I think members should be allowed to give a link to their website if it is an ESL resource. If giving links to ESL resources are allowed, why should a link to a personal website be banned? I always check them out and I have found excellent stuff. A lot of things would get lost on a special section. I don�t have the time to check the special link page, but I always read the posts on the forum.  

26 Aug 2013     

sasuna
Algeria

I totally agree with you s.lefevre

26 Aug 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you Sophia, for the previous link about this, which I had actually forgotten. At the time of writing this, I understood that repeated advertising of your personal website was against the rules, but maybe we have moved away from that, organically as it were; and if it doesn �t worry Victor - end of!

However, it is the same few people who advertise - fair enough - I �m not complaining. I love looking at other people �s websites - who wouldn �t? But occasionally I notice the little website logo under someone �s avatar if they �ve posted, or downloaded one of my wss and I just thought - wouldn �t it be nice to have a page and see them at a glance? I bet there is a good number of members with websites - I still may email Victor and see what he thinks about my idea. 

Lynne 

26 Aug 2013     

1    2    Next >