Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help me please    

help me please

metcet20
Turkey

help me please

what �s  the correct option and why?

The ....... near our village is beautiful.

A country    B woods    C view    D countryside

26 Sep 2013      

tenbest
Jordan

D - COUNTRYSIDE ... 

the place must be pacific because there is   " The " .....

26 Sep 2013     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I �d say the view. I don �t think the country / countryside is near the village, the village must be in the country / countryside ... and the woods are ... so I guess it �s view.  Anybody?

26 Sep 2013     

Nicola5052
United Kingdom

I would say countryside although view also fits.  With view it would sound better to say the �the view from � our village.  Mind you, if there is something to good to look at near the village �view � would definitely fit!

26 Sep 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

D. Not �view �, as Nicola says, it would have to be �view from �

26 Sep 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I �d choose D
can �t really say why not A
Not woods bc the verb in the sentence is in singular
Not view as you �d expect more than one view near the village so it doesn �t make sense to me.

Anyways, let �s see what the native speakers will say.

OOPS, I must have been posting with the others:)

26 Sep 2013     

tenbest
Jordan

D - COUNTRYSIDE ... 

the place must be pacific because there is   " The " .....

26 Sep 2013     

debbie6
Canada

countryside or woods

26 Sep 2013     

debbie6
Canada

countryside or woods countryside meaning the surrounding area woods - that is what we call a forested area NO COUNTRY BECAUSE THAT DOESN �T MAKE ANY SENSE NO VIEW BECAUSE IT WOULD HAVE TO SAY VIEW FROM THE VILLAGE.

26 Sep 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

it CAN �T be woods because of the verb.
You can �t have woods in that sentence - The woods near our village is beautiful- can you?

Definitely countryside

26 Sep 2013     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Metcet20,

A.      �The COUNTRY near our village is beautiful.�  (Which country?  Scotland?  Algeria?  New Zealand?)  NO

B.     �The WOODS [plural] near our village is [singular] beautiful.�  (�The WOODS [plural] near our village ARE [plural] beautiful�, is correct.)  NO

C.     �The VIEW near our village is beautiful.�  (Which SPECIFIC view is beautiful?  The view to the north?  Or to the south?  Or to the east?  Or to the west of the village?  The view beside the river?  The view from the cliffs?  If they had written:  �The VIEW FROM our village is beautiful�, that would have been correct, but they didn�t.  They said �The VIEW NEAR our village�, without specifying WHICH view.)  NO

D.      �The COUNTRYSIDE near our village is beautiful.  Our COUNTRYSIDE includes a vast, salmon-rich river; rolling heather-covered hills; and fertile, flower-filled fields.  The countryside near our village is truly beautiful!�  (Oxford English Dictionary - �COUNTRYSIDE� [mass noun] The land and scenery of a rural area: �They explored the surrounding countryside�.)  YES

ANSWER = D = "COUNTRYSIDE"

Les Douglas

26 Sep 2013     

1    2    3    Next >