Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > what īs happening?    

what īs happening?

habibb
Tunisia

what īs happening?

Hi again,
I was surprised to find out that 7 of my old contributions were reported  right now.
Is there a member who hates my work or something like that?
I can īt believe it! 7 worksheets!
Why didn īt this member warn me at least if I did something wrong?
I īm a member since 2008, why does this happen right now?

27 Oct 2013      

ELOJOLIE274
France

no one hates you, but the moderators have agreed that listening/reading ws which do not include the text or tapescript or a link to download the document used are useless and therefore mustbe removed...

i didn īt check whose ws i agreed to remove but some are certainly yours...

Edit: by the way, since you had already posted a message on the forum earlier today, it would have been nice if you had posted this message in your previous post, by posting a second time you pushed another memberīs post away from the main page...

27 Oct 2013     

habibb
Tunisia

My recent contribution includes a link for the audio file and it was reported. The same is true for the great majority of the tests I upload. I don īt remember quite well but I think that only the first test I uploaded on 2008 doesn īt include a link but the rest of them do.It is obvious that it is the same member that reported my worksheets .
Anyway, thanks Elojole274.

27 Oct 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

when was this rule made? I mean, regarding listening activities? Shouldn īt there have been a pinned thread by Victor on the forum for at least a couple of days? can you imagine if some zealous user takes this directive on board and begins browsing through the listening activities reporting people īs wss. Lots of accounts will be cancelled and it īll interfere with people īs work routine. This new "rule" shouldn īt be used against older contributions (just like all new rules don īt include older contributions when the rules were different)

27 Oct 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

i īve checked all the contributions that have been reported as "not an ESL resource" because it didn īt include a text or a script and so far none including one...

regarding your latest contribution, if I remember well it contained reading tasks, no text and when i clicked on the link provided I got a soundtrack (mp3 file) and not a text, so i had to agree for it īs removal - if your ws had contained listening tasks intead of reading task I would have voted against its removal...
if i understood your earlier post, the text to go with these reading tasks (a poem) had been uploaded by another member, that īs why you didn īt put it in your ws, but why don īt you provide the link to this member īs ws?

Sophia:
i remember we discussed it on the moderator īs page, then one of us posted a message on the forum asking for other members � opinion, and the conclusion was quite clear...
however i haven īt been "hunting" down old contributions, I simply report the recent contributions that do not follow this "rule" (I don īt know if Victor will put it in writing...).
just so you know, when we are on the moderator īs page, we don īt see when the ws was uploaded - if it was a year ago, or last week... - we only have access to the author īs name, the ws īs description and the ws itself so we can check it... to see if it īs an old contribution we would have to click on the author īs name, order his/her contributions by clicking on "newest first" and then look for the reported contribution, then click on the one posted just after that one to know the approximate date of publication of the reported ws... SUCH A PAIN, wouldn īt you agree?

By the way, the only ws i īm trying to hunt down are those who are plagiarized, and when i notice one, i try to look at all the ws from this member to see if he/she plagiarized/stole other ws...

27 Oct 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

exactly my point, Elodie, you won īt see if itīs an old contribution or a new one, plus as you said it was discussed and some people agreed, which would give them grounds to do exactly what I mentioned and this will lead to great dissapointment (to say the least) for some members who btw can be absolutely unaware of the above mentioned discussion bc it wasn īt on the main page long enough (again, exactly my point)
Sophia

27 Oct 2013     

Jayho
Australia

I donīt vote on these because there is no rule

however

A WS that links to a book that most people canīt access is useless
A WS that refers to a book or audio but where the name of the book/audio is not provided is totally useless
A WS that links to a Youtube video that is no longer available is totally useless

I am strongly in favour of a rule that allows for the fair reporting and removal of such contributions

Cheers

Jayho

27 Oct 2013     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I brought the matter up last week. I think that listenings without a listening link or questions about a text without the text are useless and can not be considered ESL resources. It is not enough to say: These questions go with this or that book or with an other author īs worksheet. In my opinion, a worksheet has to be something  that can be used by any member of this site.  
I have downloaded a lot of listening worksheets without links from different members and not always have a got an answer for my request to the audio file.
Even so, I did not report any of your worksheets because I never report old contributions only the new ones.

28 Oct 2013     

dadofm
Tunisia

i urge themoderators to contact the WS owner and clarify the reasons for deleting and hearing from them (the owner) before taking any action maybe the report isn īt justified or it īs a prank 

28 Oct 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Jayho, maybe it would be better to contact the owner of the ws first asking them to remove the ws, bc the owner of the ws might be unaware that the youtube video is no longer available bc if they get reported for three times their account is cancelled and years of hard work go to nothing.
Sophia

28 Oct 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Sophia

Account cancellation is only for reported contributions with the "It is a copy from ..." reason.  See here.

Contacting the owner of WS is an option that a reporting member or moderator can choose to take, and many do. Personally, I have found it as fruitless as using a WS in my above mentioned examples. Just my opinion.

In the meantime, I will refrain from voting in regards to these as there is no rule but my recommendation still stands.

Cheers

Jayho

28 Oct 2013     

1    2    Next >