Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > there is or there are?!    

there is or there are?!

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

there is or there are?!

Dear teachers, I was astonished when I read this sentence in a student �s book: There is a school, a hospital and a bank in the town. Why is the verb �is � used not �are �? Best regards

18 Dec 2013      

virtualbartek
Indonesia

�There is � is used as a kind of preparatory subject, and we put the real subject after the verb.  The verb �to be � will take the form from the first subject in a list. 

Example:  There is a dog and two cats in the house.

Enjoy,
Bartek

18 Dec 2013     

yanogator
United States

To add just one thing to Bartek �s excellent answer:

There are two cats and a dog in the house. As Bartek said, the verb takes the form of the first subject in the list.

Bruce

18 Dec 2013     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Mmm It will be wrong if we put there are in the previous sentence?

18 Dec 2013     

tooomas
Poland

Remember, article �a � means ONE. Thus, a cat = 1 cat. So now have a look:

There IS one cat, one dog and one bird - YES
There ARE one cat... - NO

I am sure it is the same in your own language - you would also use a singilar form of the verb �to be � before ONE SOMETHING...

18 Dec 2013     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Pretty3, it would be wrong.

@toomas, different languages have different rules. I �m sure that the reason Pretty3 asked the question is that it is a compound subject (a school, a hospital and a bank), so it seems reasonable for the verb to be "are". In fact, wouldn �t the verb be plural if you translated the entire sentence into Polish? (Maybe not. I don �t know any Polish)

Bruce

18 Dec 2013     

[email protected]
Thailand

Isn �t it simply because the sentence details a singular bank, school and hospital for which the pronoun would be �it �, hence it is appropriate to use �is � rather than �are �. If there had been more than one building outlined �are � would have been appropriate as the related pronoun would be �they �  rather than �it �.

18 Dec 2013     

yanogator
United States

No, jmc. We are talking about the verb, not a pronoun, and "There is" or "There are" is determined by the first item in the series.

There is a car, three bikes and a boat in my garage.

There are two dogs and a cat in the living room.

There is a cat and two dogs in the living room.

Bruce

18 Dec 2013     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Thanks a lot dear teachers.

18 Dec 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

I �ve seen it neatly explained as a "case of attraction of the verb to the first subject".

19 Dec 2013     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Alex, that �s a nice way to help remember it.

Bruce

19 Dec 2013     

1    2    Next >