Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Request    

Request

dmharg
Greece

Request

Hallo my friends. 
I find all the contributions here amazing and really useful, and I am sure that we are all happy to be a part of this. I just want to ask you a favor if it is possible. Please try to use English names in your worksheets because sometimes students cannot understand Turkish or names from other countries and it is difficult to do the exercise because of the names. Thank you and I am sorry if I insulted anyone. Have a nice day :)

24 Feb 2014      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It �s a fair request, but I sometimes like to use Slovakian names, as my students are mainly Slovakian and it perks them up a bit. All of the wss on here are editable, so you could always substitute English names. 

24 Feb 2014     

Jayho
Australia

What is an English name these days?

If you come to Australia you�ll meet many native speakers with true blue dinky di Ozzie accents, who often don�t speak their parents� native language, and who have very unEnglish names.

Traditional English names are becoming a thing of the past in this global world.

Cheers

Jayho

24 Feb 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

I �ll take it a step further: when I download a worksheet with only one kind of ethnic name�English or other�I change some of the names to reflect the ethnic makeup of my class as well as a few more traditional American English names. (I am much more likely to see an American English speaker named Aisha or Andre than Fiona or Clive.)

24 Feb 2014     

Digico
Netherlands

Hi,

Sorry, but I do not agree. In Holland we have multi-cultural groups. I would be unfair to use only English names. Most of the time it doesn �t even matter what names you use.  Only if there is a difference between he or she (tag quesions for example) this could be a problem.

Cheers,

Digico

24 Feb 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

By the way, variations on the name �Mohammed � are now the most, or at least second most popular choice of newborn baby boys � names in England. 

24 Feb 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

I agree with the previous posters. Like lynne, I try to use my students � names since they love it when their name is written on a worksheet. All the sheets are editable so you can easily change the names if you like.  As Moody wrote, I think there is an added value to having different names, it shows how wonderful the English language is for connecting all of us...Hug

24 Feb 2014     

edrodmedina
United States

Students do enjoy seeing their names on worksheets and I usually do try to include their names, but what I �ve been doing lately is using as many names with the magic e (Mike, Jane etc.) as I can since thats a skill my students have problems with. Ed

24 Feb 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@ Ed - I love this idea. I �ll be doing that in future. 

24 Feb 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

I �m trying as often as I can to use names (English or not) that are "tricky" to pronounce - especially with older pupils, for example: Beth,  Thomas, Peter, Aaron,  Luke. because when we correct the exercises, it �s a nice reminder of some basic pronounciation rules... but I really don �t care about the names in the ws, if I don �t know how to pronounce one of them, I just change it :)

24 Feb 2014     

dmharg
Greece

I can see what you all mean and I do not want to cause any problem but some colleagues use names in questions and students are confused about wether they should use he or she in the answer and also they write the name with � �foreign � � letters. For example Karabaş,G�lşen,Ayşe  How do you pronounce that??????? and what are they??? A boy? A girl? what? how should I know?

24 Feb 2014     

1    2    Next >