Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with grammar. -PLEASE    

Help with grammar. -PLEASE

Zora
Canada

Depends if you are referring to something in the past or present - (history is a relative thing... )

Like:

One of the most successful books in history was "Romeo and Juliet".

**Depends if it still is or not... at one time it obviously was... but now it isn�t...

Compared to:

One of the most successful books in history is "The Bible"... - It still is popular so therefore you would use "is".

6 Feb 2009     

Mietz
Germany

Really "is"? I would have considered "has been" ... (unfinished past). But I�m not a native speaker.

6 Feb 2009     

eng789
Israel

I think it should be "was" because like (I think)  you said - "in history" can be considered a time expression in the past.

The next 2 sentences are - 
 Do you remember (you/remember) the monster shark in the movie?
It looked   (look) so scary but, it was made  (make) out of metal and rubber.

6 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

To Mietz... history is a continuous thing encompassing present and past times... so I�d use either the present OR the past depending on what I want to express...

And to Eng789,

those sentences are correct. Smile

6 Feb 2009     

Mietz
Germany

I love this site. I never stop learning! Thanks to all of you!

6 Feb 2009     

mylena87
Brazil

the correct would be did u live or had you lived. Have u lived implys that u still live there 

6 Feb 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

had lived there before coming here is the correct tense because it�s the past before the past.

has been one of the best books in history is the correct tense because it was,is and may remain as long as history. 

Do you remember now it looked scary/it was made of because I�m talking about the monster in the movie (we saw)

hope it�s clear
Have a nice day

6 Feb 2009     

eng789
Israel

Thanks harim,

Have a great weekend.

6 Feb 2009     

wall05
Ecuador

Contary to popular opinion we do not have to use the past perfect to express the past of the past as it were. Past perfect can be used in this situation but "did you live" sounds perfectly o.k.

Moreover eng789, you are a native speaker but what about your colleagues. Are they also native speakers? I certainly hope not. I am personally learning Spanish and know the grammar pretty well but if a native Spanish speaker told me that something I said didn�t sound correct I wouldn�t argue. They would probably not be able to explain why it is incorrect but that doesn�t matter. If it sounds incorrect to them then it is incorrect.

6 Feb 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

Wall05.
Do you have any arguments or you are just talking for the sake of talking.
How dare you say"If it sounds incorrect to natives then it is incorrect"
Lannguage isn�t a matter of taste.It�s a set of rules that even some natives should learn before they become teachers.There are some non native speakers who are better than me at my mother tongue.
eng789.
You shouldn�t blame your students for your mistakes.

Nice weekend

6 Feb 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >