Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > IN or ON?    

IN or ON?

sedefg�l
Turkey

IN or ON?

Hi everyone!

the cat is in the tree? OR the cat is on the tree? Which one is correct! I got mixed.

13 Feb 2009      

al2018
Argentina

Hi!
I always use ON  the tree

13 Feb 2009     

sea camel
Belgium

Hi sedefg�l

According to me, it should be in the tree (between its branches). On the tree is said about leaves or lights (hanging from its branches). They are on the tree. On the tree could also mean on top of the tree, so on the tree (top).

Kristien

13 Feb 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

CORRECT ->The cat is ON the tree �  ( it means its standing,lying up there)
                   The cat is IN the tree � (it means the cat is inside the tree, maybe inside the trunk of the tree which is not what you want to mean)

explanation:

ON , when we tlak about a horizontal or vertical surface. ( a tree , for example, is vertical  and not enclosed)

IN, In general we use it when we talk about an enclosed space that is surrounded on all sides. � � Inside � �

13 Feb 2009     

sea camel
Belgium

Now, I �m a bit confused... I really thought it was �in a tree �, between its branches... I checked this on google and when I type �cat in a tree � it seems right. I couldn �t find �cat on a tree �. Well, I really want to know this now!

13 Feb 2009     

sedefg�l
Turkey

I am confused too! I think we need a native speaker..

13 Feb 2009     

silvanija
Lithuania

There�s a song in "New English Parade":
I look at the park and
I can see in front of me:
A blue bird in a green tree.

I always say that cats are in the tree. Wink

13 Feb 2009     

marciadnr
Portugal

I �m sure it is "cat up on a tree". But still I �ve checked the net as I don �t have a dictionary at hand and I found these sentences: "a dof stares at a cat up on a tree branch. The cat climbed up after the bird that rest a little higher up the tree." I hope it helps.

13 Feb 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

I too heard them say IN a tree, because they mean among the branches as someone put it above. Some of the children �s rhymes say the same. And i don �t think they mean �in the trunk � or sth. It �s just �in � the tree top.

13 Feb 2009     

sea camel
Belgium

But isn �t there a difference between being in a whole tree and to be on top or on one of its branches?

We need a native speaker!

13 Feb 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Usually  something is ON a tree, since it is an open surface, and it is usually standing on something. But yeah if you say IN THE TREE, it might mean between the branches, like being covered by branches.

uhu....

13 Feb 2009     

1    2    3    Next >