Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > present perfect    

present perfect

yetigumboots
Germany

present perfect

Hello Everyone,

Could someone please clear something up for me. I am teaching present perfect tense at the moment. Which is fine, except when I get a sentence like;

I have been teaching English for 6 years. How do I explain the �ing � form or the word �teaching � in this sentence. 

Thanks for your help

Hugs Yeti.

12 Nov 2014      

dmharg
Greece

All continuous tenses are formed by the verb to be + verb+ing. I have been teaching.... is a present perfect tense. It is formed by the verb be (in present perfect)  have been   and the verb (teach) with -ing. 

12 Nov 2014     

yetigumboots
Germany

So this sentence is really present perfect continuous... Is that right? 

12 Nov 2014     

valodra
France

* I have taught = what is important is the result or completed action. ( ie : I have a good experience in teaching.) * I have been teaching = I �m interested in the activity - or duration - no matter whether it �s been finished or not .) = You are still teaching. Hope this helps.( & hope I�m right here ? )

12 Nov 2014     

aycaaycaesl
Turkey

The sentence you have mentioned is in Present Perfect Continuous Tense and -ing represents the actions in progress in English and it must be used together with �verb to be � depending on the time you are talking about. 

With some verbs like live, study, work, teach, etc there is no difference between Present Perfect and Present Perfect Continuous. Thus, you can either say � I have taught English.... � or �I �ve been teaching English ...... �. Tough, this applies only for several verbs as I �ve mentioned above. 

Hope it helps:) Do not hesitate for further questions...

12 Nov 2014     

valodra
France

Dear colleague, I don �t agree with you - may I ? I have taught English = this IS my work experience ; I have been teaching = I am STILL teaching English ( not mentioned in ex n�1...) Anyway - maybe I �m wrong ( please, tell us ;-))), but there HAS TO be some difference in meaning - or else, why 2 possibilities ??? Here is a link you might find useful : http://esl.about.com/od/grammarintermediate/a/Perfect-Forms-Simple-Or-Progressive.htm Regards.

12 Nov 2014     

valodra
France

PS : How come I just cannot insert an hyper link ??? Could someone help ? Thx!

12 Nov 2014     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi,

You say:  I have read half of the book.  (Present perfect simple)
or            I have been reading all morning.   (Present perfect continuous)

Both tenses are used to express  - actions which have just finished or
                                                      -actions which  are not finished/which may continue or be repeated in the future.

We used the continuous form when  what�s important is the duration of the action.
 He has been waiting for hours!

12 Nov 2014     

isa2
Austria

@valodra
Mark your link and press the second button from the left.

12 Nov 2014     

valodra
France

That �s what I did - but it �s not working! ...:-((( Thx for your help ;-)( I am asked to paste the hyperlink, but it keeps on disappearing every time I try...????) Sorry for interfering with another ( interesting!!!) question.

12 Nov 2014     

Tere-arg
Argentina

valodra:

1. Select and copy the link you want to add
2. Type something  in  the message box (link/here/look here/etc.) 
3. Select the word/s typed.
4. Click on the second icon on top (left to right - the one with the globe and clip)
5. Enter the url address, accept and that�s all

12 Nov 2014     

1    2    Next >