Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Pull a Ferguson?    

Pull a Ferguson?

AL3NA
Mexico

Pull a Ferguson?

Hi everyone.

I was doing some online reading and came across this expression: “He tried to pull a Ferguson.” Does anyone know what this means?

Thanks

24 Apr 2015      

Carolinenjnc
United States

Hi, I believe it is a racial comment and refers to a situation that occurred in the city of Ferguson, MO. I found an article about it here:

http://www.salon.com/2014/09/05/i_wish_someone_would_pull_a_ferguson_on_them_louisiana_cop_resigns_for_racist_texts/

It probably generated from the situation around the city of Ferguson, MO where a police officer shot and killed an African American. There are many opinions around the whole case, and the fact that the whole situation around that city escalated to almost a crisis.  If you read this article, you should be able to understand this phrase from the context.

24 Apr 2015     

Nelssa
Ukraine

Pulling a Ferguson
In East Texas this is the act of calling into work on an excessive basis and suffering no repercussion.
" I am pulling a Ferguson Monday." 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pulling%20a%20Ferguson
 Meaning that in East Texas they use this expression when they are not going to work on a short notice, and can get away with it without any consequences...
Or in East Texas an employer can demand extra work, or excessive overtime, from an employee without any consequences...?

24 Apr 2015     

Aurore
France

I �ve never heard this before. I �ve read the article but I �m still none the wiser. Can anyone  explain what it means? Is it pejorative or not?

24 Apr 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I read the article that Carolinenjnc posted and I interpret it to mean that someone in authority who tried to pull a Ferguson attempted to intimidate or shoot a minority person without being held responsible or indicted of a crime. Wilson, the officer who shot Michael Brown dead was not indicted.

24 Apr 2015     

seansarto
United States

Nelssa is most correct in the intpretation. It is a cynical phrase in a politically cynical environment, not racist. It means to overreact about something.

25 Apr 2015