Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A question for you!    

A question for you!

Zora
Canada

A question for you!

I have a student who has to make a sentence using this form...

"............. that, that, that, that, (that)....." (She �s not sure if it �s four or five "thats")

Example: "I said to him that, that, that cat....." (I get up to three thats and then I am stumped!)

Quite honestly, I cannot think of anything with that many "that"s! Or the teacher is delusional or I am brain dead Tongue ... which could be quite possible since I am working 12 hour days!!

PS:
It �s an exercise for her WHOLE class! LOL It �s supposed to be a brain twister

21 Feb 2009      

Ivona
Serbia

I said to him that THAT (demonstrative) that Embarrassed (as a noun) that THAT man does is horrible and inappropriate.

Does THAT sound right? Btw, give it back. Cool

21 Feb 2009     

Cassy
Brazil

Maybe she uses too many "thats" in her native language. Have you ever paid attention while she speaks?
I mean... Somebody near her can speak like that.....
In Brazil some stds have "tics". They try to make imitative reproduction.....somebody�s style of speaking.

Hugs
Cassy

21 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

.... Noooo, it �s mine, please... don �t take it away from me... *clutches the crown to her chest* ...It �s my preciousss.... Tongue

Ahem...

Okay good Ivona but I still need one or two more "that"s...

21 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hi Cassy,

No, it �s not "that"... it �s an activity for everyone in the class... the teacher is trying to be funny I think... Smile

21 Feb 2009     

Mietz
Germany

Bother - I should have left the house by now instead of browsing the forum Wacko. I �m addicted... Maybe the teacher meant "had"...
Then look at that:

If Peter had had �had had � like Paul had had �had had � then the teacher would have approved of the had had, but Peter only had had �had �.

Need to run (actually cycle...). Mietz

21 Feb 2009     

freddie
Canada

I said that that crown is that Ivona chick that is always asking for that crown!

hee hee

21 Feb 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

But Zora, you said 4-5, i gave you five! AND the crown! What more can you ask for! Now, please, be a good girl, and hand it to me. Or i will never ever again make you laugh and tease you and your brain, or bring sunshine and snowflakes to your inbox. Btw, could you open the vids? 

21 Feb 2009     

eng789
Israel

He told me that, that that, that he was referring to,  was next to the book. 

21 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

Shucks... she is right... I didn �t see the one tiny "that" in the middle of the sentence! I guess that the crown goes back to her! *hands back the crown* Smile 

Gotta go guys,

See you on Monday!

21 Feb 2009     

Apodo
Australia

Ivona,

Your example was perfect. I �m impressed! 5 thats!

The best �had � example (11 hads) I know is this:

John where James had had had had had had had had had had had the teacher �s approval.

When correctly punctuated this is a good English sentence.;-)

John, where James had had �had �, had had �had had �. �Had had � had had the teacher �s approval.

21 Feb 2009     

1    2    Next >