Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > have got vs. has got     

have got vs. has got

silvanija
Lithuania

have got vs. has got

Hello everyone .

I really need your help with a simple sentence that has somehow turned into a tricky one.

So here it goes:

Sally and her brothers have got a dog.

And then I have to make a question and I am not sure what the correct option is.

At first, I thought it would be:

Have Sally and her brothers got a dog? Yes, they have.

But the question sounds somehow wrong to me and I haven �t got any explanation why.

What about:

Has Sally and her brothers got a dog? Yes, they have. (???)

I feel that there might be something to do with one subject in singular and another in plural... Help, please .

18 Dec 2015      

loboclaud
Portugal

Hi!

Since the subject is plural (Sally and her brothers), I believe the correct option is Have Sally and her brothers....
Has Sally doesn �t make any sense to me.
I hope I may have been helpful.

18 Dec 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi guys,

Change �Sally � to the pronoun �she � and try it out.   �Has she and her brothers got a dog? � or 
�Have she and her brothers got a dog? � 
We say �Has she and her brothers got a dog? � There is a rule, but I can �t remember it just now  
Still can�t!

18 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Hi Silvana,

That happens to me all the time! The more I look at a sentence, the less sure I become about it! :-))

But I agree with lobocloud. They definitely have a dog.

Peter and Jane are in the garden.
Peter and Jane have a dog.
Do Peter and Jane have a dog? Yes, they do.
Do Peter and his family have a dog? Funny you should ask that.... Thumbs Up

Look up �compound subject�.

Tap

18 Dec 2015     

silvanija
Lithuania

Thanks a lot for taking time to answer : )

Welcome to the boat, cunliffe :)

I prepared a test for my kids last week but when I saw all the mistakes they make I started having doubts myself.

18 Dec 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes but ... �Have Peter and his brothers got a dog? � which was the essence of the question.. No! That is not right! 

18 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Lynne, that �s because you have been staring at it too long, like Silvana!

Have (Peter and his brothers = they) got a dog? If I �m wrong, you can call me Rice Pudding for the next 6 months.

Silvana, I know exactly what you mean. I keep forgetting to put objects after transitive verbs ("Yes, yes, I kept!") and my native-speaker friends give me weird looks. It�s kind of like a teacher�s version of the Stockholm Syndrome. LOL

Tapioca

18 Dec 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi again,

What I was thinking of is this little phenomenon. Whereas we say �A cat and two frogs are on the window �, we say. �There is a cat and two frogs on the window. � So the question would be �Is there a cat and two frogs...? � If the verb comes first, it can agree with the noun that follows immediately. 

But Tap, the original question looks weird and I may have been staring at it too long... You and Loboclaud are definitely correct with �they have a dog � and so Silvanije, I am joining you on that boat.  
Lynne 

19 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Hi Lynne,

Yes, I was wondering if you were thinking about the rule where �or � is used in compound subjects and the verb agrees with the �closest � of the subjects, which, if I understand it correctly, leads to sentences like this:

We are not sure whether the dogs, the raccoons or the cat steals the bagels

I must say to me, that feels very wrong, but apparently there �s a rule that endorses this verb agreement. It �s similar to your example with �There is � in some ways - where position overrules what (at least to me) seems logical.

Tap

19 Dec 2015     

silvanija
Lithuania

Hi again .

Tapioca, you made me laugh with that Stockholm Syndrome. After seeing 5 ways to spell "eight" I sometimes start thinking that it might be me who is wrong .

Lynne, after trying to solve that mystery with Sally and her brothers ;) I was also thinking if there might be something in common with "there is/are" and that confused me even more.

The funny thing is that while I was teaching kids �have/has" and then preparing that test everything seemed clear to me. 

Hugs
Silvana 

19 Dec 2015     

yanogator
United States

No, they have a cat.

19 Dec 2015     

1    2    Next >