Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Synonyms of American    

Synonyms of American

crisferpi
Spain

In Spain the word "gabacho" means "French" but it �s a bit pejorative. I �ve never heard this word referring to americans.

Kisses from Spain  Smile

26 Feb 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Jajaja Chobby that �s bad !! jaja Tongue Joking... Some Americans dont like to be called gringos- we know its not a not bad word though-we have some others too. I use to teas my American friends , I dont think it is the propper ones though.

But- people from The United States of America are Americans ever since someone said � �America for the Americans � � .

Actually, in America continent, we dont usually say Im American if we are not from the States. They should have a � �gentilicio � � though but then don �t. Stern Smile

Miss Melissa. Hug

26 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

What about a US citizen?

The reason why an American is thought to be a US citizen is because the USA is one country, but South America is made up of many countries.

I have never, ever heard anyone in the States call Canada for an extra state of the US. Americans, generally, have the greatest respect for Canadians.

26 Feb 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

In Britain Americans are also called Yank/Yankies  in informal English/everyday conversation.

26 Feb 2009     

eng789
Israel

I think it depends how the Canadian dollar is doing against the American. When the Canadian $ was only worth 80 cents US - the Americans loved us.

26 Feb 2009     

chobby
Mexico

Melissa:
Actually that word gringo has some history and goes back to the war in Texas before the Civil War see for mexicans that �s how they heard the term "green go" because as you know in that war the Irish people that were living in Texas fought in against the americans in the mexican side so they will call the army which uniform was green.
they would shout: "green go" in spanish vamos verde for the uniform

26 Feb 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

hm? I did not understand Libertybelle Geek
I think there is not Geographycal reason to call them Americans, we just call them...

26 Feb 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

yeah I heard that story too...It �s what I always tell my American friends. Thumbs Up 

26 Feb 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

oh I just found this on wikipedia

� �The standard way to refer to a citizen of the United States is as an American. Though United States is the formal adjective, American and U.S. are the most common adjectives used to refer to the country ("American values," "U.S. forces"). American is rarely used in English to refer to people not connected to the United States. � �

Miss Melissa. Hug

26 Feb 2009     

chobby
Mexico

What I think Lisa mean from what I know, I �ve lived in the U.S.A.  is that many people in the US called the country wrongfully America, perhaps a short term for United States of America, see Mexico the official name is also United States, but of Mexico although that only shows in our currency for example or in official documents nobody really call them like that, only because we have the same form of goverment as the USA.

26 Feb 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >