Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Synonyms of American    

Synonyms of American

dennismychina
China

Slang for Americans is Yank, the same as people from England are called Poms or Pommies as Australians are called Ausies, New Zealanders are known as  Kiwies, Dutchmen are called Dutchies.  Ect etc. But these terms can be classed as being rude and many people dislike them.

As far as I know there is only one proper term for people from the USA and that is Americans. If  you�re asked, �Where do you come from�?  you wouldn�t reply Europe or Asia or Africa, you would say which country you�re from. Like wise you wouldn�t generally call yourself north or south American. You would be Canadian, Mexican, American etc.  

My thoughts, for what they�re worth.

26 Feb 2009     

eng789
Israel

dennismychina
            I like your answer.

26 Feb 2009     

chobby
Mexico

you �re right dennismychina sometimes nicknames could be offensive for some people.
 I don �t mind people called me a nickname but that �s just me, every person is different

26 Feb 2009     

thebestestofthebestest
Peru

It is true that many people (especially from South America) pretend to get offended when the term "American" is used to refer to people from the States, but deep inside everybody knows it is so and will always be so because nobody uses the term American in a different way, even when talking about people from America in general the context always makes it very clear.

26 Feb 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Very good answer there Dennis my china plate!

In Australia Americans (from the U.S.A.) are also called �Yanks � (not Yankee) or �Sceptic tanks � (rhymes with �Yanks �).

These terms could be used in reported speech when writing, but are venacular/slang rather than formal English.

ssrl10 - I think your student was just trying to score a few points off you... Why not use Dennis �s analogy & ask your student where she �s from?

Cheers,
AB

27 Feb 2009     

douglas
United States

Being an "American" (North American as well) and having lived in many parts of the States, I have to warn you about using the term "yankee" or "yank". Calling a southerner (citizens of states  that belonged to the "Confederate States of America" during our civil war) a yankee could get you in a lot of trouble, maybe even killed. 

Also, I know in many countries the term "Yankee" was considered (and used as) a derogatory term for Americans.  Like the term "Ami" in German or "Gringo" in Mexican Spanish, it has developed into a more acceptable (non-insulting) term, but some people still use or understand the terms to be derogatory. This means you may offend someone without intending to, so be careful.

Just a little word of warning.

Douglas

27 Feb 2009     

Jayho
Australia

In relation to formal writing/language:

In my opinion the only way of referring to an American in formal writing is �American �.  It is generally known that this means a person from the US. Similarly, Mexican, Canadian,  Argentinian, Australian etc.

27 Feb 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3