Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I seem have a problem in Yes/No Question    

I seem have a problem in Yes/No Question

miss noor
Palestine

I seem have a problem in Yes/No Question

Hello everybody,
I hope you are well

What is the correct answer of this question.

Are there many currencies in the world ?
1/  Yes, there are many currencies
2/ Yes , there are. There are many currencies like dollar and riyal.
3/ Yes , there are many currencies like dollar and riyal.
4/ Yes, there are.

27 Feb 2009      

Zora
Canada

The only possible answer is option 4... Yes, there are or the 1st - but that is more "forced and unnatural"... it�s called parroting back a reply. I hate to hear students doing it...

You could also say "Yes, there are. There are many currencies like THE dollar and THE euro...

27 Feb 2009     

mysweetself
Qatar

I  totally agree with Zora.The possible answer is "Yes,there are" .You don �t want to teach unatural English just for the sake that I want my pupils to talk in class ( if that was your intention)

Unless you say as an addition to the question .If there is ,Can you give me examples?

27 Feb 2009     

adina.carril
Spain

I�m agree withZora.!!!kisses

27 Feb 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

The best answer is the 4th one. No need for repitition.
You can give examples, but it �s better to stick to the question.
Are there many currencies in the world?
There �s no " Give example."

27 Feb 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

What do you think libertybelle
You should have a say
Noor,
where is the problem?
in the answer or in the use of the definite article

27 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Well, gosh guys, I just got home from 7 hours of school and TGIF!!
(thank God it �s Friday)

I agree with this one:
You could also say "Yes, there are. There are many currencies like THE dollar and THE euro

I know many like the short and sweet answer, but if any of our pupils want to become writers, they need to learn more than text message answers.

I hate, for example, when I ask how someone is, and they answer; fine.

At least they could say, I �m fine, thanks, or fine, thanks for asking.
I believe in dialogue.  Long live dialogue!!!

I hate one word answers. It seems so lethargic as if people don �t have the time of day.
But that �s just me.

TGIF!

27 Feb 2009     

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Hi

I would go for option 2 and 4 which are both correct, being option 4 the most correct and option 2 the one I tell my students to answer in a complete form.

Best regards

27 Feb 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Well, yeah Liberty !! It �s better to encourage a long live dialogue. However, some students make digressions, sth that I used to suffer before.

I used to encourage my sts to elaborate their answers, but they made digressions instead. So, I now ask them to follow as given in the question. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don �t know . What do u say???

27 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Well........ teaching students to keep to the question is a discipline in itself.
Here I use a storyline to teach my students what is important to tell about and what to leave out.

It is just as important to teach students to  include the most important things in their answers, as it is to answer politely - otherwise they might put their listeners to sleep!!!. So we need to teach them to answer correctly without digressing. One shouldn �t exclude the other.

27 Feb 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Now I �m more satisfied. This could work better with my 7th and 8th graders. As for my 5th graders, it �s btter to stay on the safe side. They need to practise more but safely.
I hope u got my point!!

Anyway, it all depends on the kind and level of students.
Hugs,
Nebal

27 Feb 2009     

1    2    Next >