Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Work being reported    

Work being reported

loboclaud
Portugal

Work being reported

Dear colleagues,
I have been a member here for quite a while and I have uploaded material which I took or adapted from books or websites, always referring to that fact and saying the name of the book or the website.
Today, six of my contributions have been reported by a member, who says I just copied them and that they are not original work.
I don �t know what are the intentions of this person as he/she only reports my contributions and no one else �s.
I would like to know if there is any way moderators could help.
Thanks a lot and sorry to bring such a dreadful business here.
If you think this post is inappropriate, please say so.

Many thanks,
loboclaud (Claudia) 

9 Feb 2016      

almaz
United Kingdom

No, Claudia, it �s perfectly appropriate. Like the spam button, the reporting system is easily abused. Ask yourself: who have I fallen out with recently who might be angry/vindictive/odious/stupid enough to report my worksheets?

9 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@ almaz... As you aren �t a moderator, how do you know that this system is being abused? Is it perhaps a certain view of humanity that would prompt someone to write about people as being angry/vindictive/odious/stupid? 

9 Feb 2016     

Mariethe House
France

Sorry Alex but Claudia knows very well why she has been reported as she is a moderator herself.

Claudia , you should keep on the quiet side if I were you
BTW I am speaking as a moderatorSmile

9 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Apologies. I didn�t realise only moderators were qualified to discuss the reporting process Wink

But seriously, as far as I�m aware, anyone can report a contribution, and every report must be reviewed by moderators (i.e. anyone with more than 5000 points), during which time the contribution will be "frozen", whether the contribution goes against the rules or not. While this constitutes an important check and balance, the system is obviously also open to wilfully malicious reporting (by any member, regardless of "points") � so perhaps the moderators would like to reveal to us non-moderators how they collectively deal with this particular class of abuse.

9 Feb 2016     

Mariethe House
France

If the reporting is systematic  and comes from just one person and there is no reason why the ws should be reported , then the moderators vote for it to stay!
But if there is a blatant reason for reporting the ws, then it is checked using the links that are given by the reporter or by using a plagiarism checker.
In the case that interest us, the reporter has only done her job in agreement with  the rules of this site! That �s all Alex!! I did check!! She was not being malevolent or anything else, believe me!

9 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Thank you, Marie. Very informative. But to get back to my original question, at what point do you decide if the reporting is indeed malicious, and what action do you all, collectively, take if it is?

9 Feb 2016     

Manuhk
Hong Kong

Almaz, your questions are answered in the rules of this site.

Quote: The reports will also be supervised by the administrator, who can decide to revoke the reporting privileges of anyone who reports worksheets without justified reasons.

9 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Thanks, Manuhk. So the moderators alone can�t revoke reporting privileges - only Victor?

9 Feb 2016     

David Lisgo
Japan

To my knowledge Victor doesn �t ever revoke reporting privileges, he just deletes the account of members who blatantly and deliberately abuse this right.

9 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Thanks, David. That�s what I suspected. I see now that moderators are aware of the identity of the reporting member, and, if abuse of the system has been found, they would pass the name on to Victor. As a non-moderator, I wasn�t aware of that when I wrote my initial comment, so thank you to those who took the time to try to explain the moderators� role in this, and apologies if I�ve ruffled any feathers.

Alex 

10 Feb 2016     

1    2    3    Next >