Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > mistake    

mistake

tommy1996
Vietnam

mistake

Plz help me find out the mistake of this sentence Today is Monday.The builders say they have finished the roof by the end of the week Thanks

12 Apr 2016      

georginasantanna
Portugal

Hi!
The mistake is "The builders say they have finished..."
Since the action implies the use of the future, you have to use the future perfect: The builders say they will have finished...
Hope I may have helped.

Georgina 

12 Apr 2016     

alien boy
Japan

It could also�be (& this would be more common) �The builders say they will finish the roof by the end of the week. �

Cheers,
AB�

Edit: It could also be (& this is also common) �The builders say they will have the roof finished by the end of the week. �

Cheers,
AB

12 Apr 2016     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

the builders say they will have had the roof finished by the end of the week

13 Apr 2016     

yanogator
United States

I wouldn �t use "will have had" in this case. It is correct, but more complicated than is necessary for the situation.

Bruce 

13 Apr 2016     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Dear Bruce,

I do appreciate a lot what you and other native speakers do to help colleagues here. Thanks to you, I have learned a lot. However, we have to take into consideration that in certain countries there are sets of rules in grammar that are taught and should be followed in Exams. I think in this example if a student doesn �t use the future perfect, the answer will be considered wrong because of the expression "by the ________". Therefore, it should be "will have finished or will have had the roof finished
Gharbi

13 Apr 2016     

FrauSue
France

Hello Gharbi,

As a native speaker, I agree with Bruce. The use of the future perfect with the "have something done" construction in this case sounds unnatural and thus, while grammatically correct, it is not idiomatic English.

For me, the problem is that "will have had it done" suggests that the doing of the action occurred a long time ago, whereas this sentence �s context implies that the finishing will happen soon (by the end of the week).

Compare the following: By 2020, the government will long have had these reforms finished and dealt with. / By the end of the month, the government hope that they will have these reforms finished.

I hope that helps to clarify Bruce �s comment. 

13 Apr 2016     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Hello FauSue,

I think "the builders will have had the roof finished" implies that the builders will cause someone else to do it and in this case it will not be acceptable because  there is a change in meaning but the use of perfect future is needed here as the focus is on a completed action in the future regardless of the time when the verb action will be completed, in the short term or the long term. After all, "will finish" or will have finished" do not mean the same.

14 Apr 2016     

alien boy
Japan

If tommy can provide some further details re the scope of the correction required, then it is possible to determine the correct grammatical form required, rather than making assumptions gharbi.

14 Apr 2016     

yanogator
United States

Gharbi,
"Will have had the roof finished" was your suggestion, but you are now saying it is not acceptable.

I wasn �t saying not to use the future perfect, because I agree that it is the appropriate case here. That would be "will have finished the roof". I was saying that I wouldn �t use your suggestion of "will have had the roof finished".

Bruce 

14 Apr 2016     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Dear Bruce,

I was answering Fausue who said it referred to an action that occurred a long time ago. Your comment drew my attention to the fact that my suggestion was wrong as far as meaning is concerned. I don �t feel ashamed of saying I �m wrong everytime I am.
Gharbi

14 Apr 2016     

1    2    Next >