Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Which is the correct answer?    

Which is the correct answer?

falafel
Tunisia

Which is the correct answer?

Hi dear friends. Can you help me please with this sentence?Thanks in advance. Wherever you go it is important that you get there (safe / safely / unsafe)

4 May 2017      

kohai
Latvia

Safe (and sound)!

4 May 2017     

falafel
Tunisia

Thank you dear Kohai . I have given safe as the correct answer to my pupils and I want to make sure that it is the expected answer.Thanks again you are always there to help others. Have a nice evening.

4 May 2017     

kohai
Latvia

Hey, hey, hey! Your question is not as easy as it seems, otherwise you wouldn�t have asked, would you? Dear Falafel, please don�t make your decision only from my answer! I am not a native. It�s very possible (and I am ready for) that Bruce or Les (or somebody else) will very kindly tell me that I was not right. By the way, I already got a lovely PM from a friend who only partly agreed with me. Let�s wait for others� opinions!

4 May 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I would say safely, but not everyone would agree that safe is wrong. See https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/get-home-safe-safely.2578042/

4 May 2017     

falafel
Tunisia

Thank you for the link redcamarocruiser. It �s very helpful and the answers suggested are explained in a very detailed way that I can guess the right answer from the context. Kohai thank you for the information. Both your answers have been of a great help to me. Have a nice evening.

4 May 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Falafel,

I think that I have previously said here, that whenever I hear a question which seems to ask: "What is the correct answer?" I always feel a little uncomfortable. I hear another question in my head, which seems to ask: "What is the correct way to kiss a baby?"
My answer to this question would be: "There are a hundred ways to kiss a baby, and if you and the baby are happy with the kiss, then your question is answered".
Some students appear to think that language, (and particularly the English language), is governed by fixed, unchangeable rules. I am a resident of the UK and speak British English, (so I can �t comment with authority on other varieties of English). But British English is spoken in various styles ... from extremely informal, to neutral, through to extremely formal, depending on many factors. Students of English should be aware of this, and not be pedantic ... "THIS is the CORRECT answer!" ... except in special circumstances! Here, I am thinking of strictly regulated, formal examination situations.

Whenever I have been out visiting, I always �report back � to my son and daughter with a text, so that they know that I am safe and well. "Arrived home safely at 10:00. Dad X" (I am thinking about the journey home in the taxi.)
Sometimes, as I am drinking my cup of hot chocolate, after an evening out, I write: "Home, safe and well at 10:00. Dad X" (I am thinking about how I feel, sitting in my home.)

So, Falafel, to reply to your query, sometimes answers to grammatical questions should begin with the words: "It all depends!"

In an examination: "Wherever you go, it is important that you get there safely!"

In life, I find that situations are rarely �cut and dried � =

�Cut and dried� originally referred to herbs which were cut and then dried, to use in the future. The phrase now means having a clear and definite quality that does not allow doubt or that cannot be changed.

Of a situation, completely settled. Decided, set, settled and not open to change. Not needing much thought or discussion. The proposition is clear and easy to understand. Something that is done according to a plan, a set procedure, or a routine formula.

Les Douglas 

4 May 2017     

Apodo
Australia

I would write safely as the answer to a test.

4 May 2017     

mob70
Algeria

I would answer: SAFELY because  it answers  the question HOW I would get there , so the adverb "safely " would be more pertinent than the adjective "safe" 

5 May 2017     

falafel
Tunisia

Thank you to all of you.

5 May 2017     

Elle81
United Kingdom

Hi, In this situation, I don �t agree with the answer using "safe"!!!
 The correct answer is:
 Wherever you go, it is important that you get there safely.
So, please give your students the correct answer! 

5 May 2017     

1    2    Next >