Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Sorry    

Sorry

ivush
Czech Republic

Sorry

6 May 2017      

Gi2gi
Georgia

I feel sort of uneasy to be writing this, but the frequency at which the topics appear on the forum makes me do this.

The rules of the site clearly states that:

Those messages which are considered spam by the administrator will be removed (such as using the forum with the solely purpose of advertising your website). 

On the other hand, I cannot deny that some of the websites advertised (is this the right word?!)  might  be appealing to people here but to me it seems that posting one �s ESL resources with huge screenshots is somewhat ... well, not the best thing.

Could there be one department on the forum, like the teacher �s cafe, where the generous people who are willing to share their own creations (flash videos, websites, blogs, FB pages) could post their amazing stuff so that it does not clog the main page and make the grumpy people like myself even more grumpy? :D 

Once again, I am sorry if this message of mine might have caused someone discomfort.

Giorgi 

6 May 2017     

yanogator
United States

Hi, Giorgi,
I think your post was definitely appropriate, and contains a good suggestion.

As for your question, "promoted" is probably a better word, but "advertised" is definitely not wrong, and is probably becoming more common.

Bruce 

6 May 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

The posters of long posts should break their posts up into several posts to save space on the forum page. The first post should be short, and the last post should be short. The in between posts can be any length because they will be covered up by the last short post (preferably a one liner).

6 May 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I have to admit that I have been inspired by some of the posts of people �s original work, but also dislike the large pictures.

6 May 2017     

ivush
Czech Republic

Sorry, I was hesitating if my post is or is not a spam. I deleted it. 

6 May 2017     

kohai
Latvia

Ivush,
I liked the way you presented your blog a year ago with a pic of "DIY teaching aids IDEAS", I even become your follower then. I think you are a great and creative teacher, many of us could learn from. I am wondering, why don�t you make the website under your avatar reachable? 

Giorgi,
You are not grumpy, LOL! You have just spoken your (and not only your!) mind. I fully agree with you and Mary about those huge pics and too long posts we time to time see on the Forum. They are annoying and inappropriate here.

Now about your suggestion about a special place where members could "share their own creations (flash videos, websites, blogs, FB pages)". Don�t you think we have already got even two? IMO, nobody would mind if the pics and videos would be shared in Teachers� Cafe. It is even too calm there, if not to say boring. But for sharing links Victor has created a special place, where anybody can add their link+description. Here you are welcome to "Suggest a new bookmark. If you find a web page that could be useful for other ESL teachers, please share it with us. Not only ESL websites, but also any resource that we could find helpful (cliparts, frames, doc file compressors, penpals websites, etc.)".

P.S. It�s me who voted "This is not spam". Just wanted to share my thoughts and be sure that the thread wouldn�t disappear while I was writing. Have a nice Sunday!

7 May 2017     

Minka
Slovenia

I �ve just had a look at the Teachers � Cafe, probably for the first time since I became a member. Maybe I am different from most members (but I don �t really think so), but I think posts about quality websites with good teaching materials wouldn �t reach as many teachers if posted in Teachers � Cafe, I actually believe that most of us would miss such posts. And they are far more relevant to what we do than all those posts about the points not received and such.

7 May 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Maybe it would be possible to share the link to the resources (and one picture).

Edit: @ Lynne. That information about  the length of the posts was helpful, Lynne!

7 May 2017     

kohai
Latvia

@ Minka (and maybe not only)
I think, it depends on how we follow the rules and use the tools given to us. If there were enough exciting things, we would learn to visit Teachers� Cafe regularly, the same as we click on New Contributions every day. Of course, not everybody, but those who are interested in.

As Giorgi has quoted the rules, the Forum is not meant for advertising users � websites. Another rule says, "If you want to share photos, wishes, funny videos, etc. please use the "teachers � cafe", not the forum."

On the other hand, it doesn�t seem the webmaster minds the order members have created and used to through years. He never deletes the Forum posts with links to other ESL websites, blogs and things like that. So it is our decision to vote them as spam or not. The same as to respect other members� posts or not. Where is it said I am not allowed to make a long post with 5 or 10 pics because it will be then considered a spam? There is no such a rule. It all depends on our attitude to others.
We all are here to learn from others, not to judge them, don �t you agree? Happy Monday!

7 May 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

As I understand it - but I am no genius - the length of the post or the number of pictures doesn �t affect the number of posts able to be displayed: there �s always ten posts on the main page. 

Things move on and as Kohai says, many people do advertise their own websites and usually, at least one or two members thank them as they have found it useful.  We debated this a few years ago and I think the consensus was that people didn �t mind as long as the same people weren �t advertising their stuff every five minutes! 

Rules, rules, rules - sometimes we just have to exercise a bit of discretion.  

I agree the teachers � cafe has been dead as a doornail recently. We need to use this facility!

Lynne  

8 May 2017