Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Sadly something really rude happened to me....    

Sadly something really rude happened to me....

Aisha77
Spain

Sadly something really rude happened to me....

Well, first of all thanks to all those people that were nice and even thanked me all my ws. Sadly I uploaded a ws talking about nationalities. I wrote about many of them. The thing started when I received one sms telling me (in a good way first) I was wrong, that I couldn �t write �Germans are �.... or �Russians are �.... but �The germans are �.... or �German people are.... �, I mean I had to write the nationalities with the article at the beginning or writing �people � after the noun. Well, I was quite sure both ways were possible, but I doubted, so I looked it on the Internet and I found that nationalities with nouns instead of adjectives were without the article. So I wrote her back,first telling her I was wrong only when writing �French �, as I had to say French people and I told he also there was no need to write the article ... Then I Iooked up in Cambridge dictionary the word �French � and it says it is rather an adjective or a noun, so sadly I answered her again telling her that it could be �Frenchs � as well (although I wasn �t really sure yet) and sent her a link with the instruction I read.
Well maybe I am wrong, but I got tonigh a private mail that was really rude, in a really bad manner. I don �t think I said anything bad to her, and I don �t like feeling this way when all I wanted was to know actually the real way. If she is right we could know by many ways instead of telling me I don �t know anything and writing me so rudely. My English isn �t perfect, I know, but I believe I have quite a good level, indeed. However, I don �t feel like going on this way, but before I go, I wish someone (an English native if possible) could tell me if it is or not possible to say: English are... whatever; Russians are..... whatever... And what about French? Is it possible without the �the �? Or the reason it isn �t possible (if so) is because the adjective is the exact same word as the noun? 
Thanks in advance!
Good luck to you all
Bye! 

12 Oct 2018      

kohai
Latvia

Dear Aisha,
Maybe I shouldn�t answer your question as I am a non-native teacher and I am still learning English. But, by coincidence, I recently had the same question in my head. Thanks to Les Douglas (who is a native speaker) I have learnt the following:

In English,
when we are talking about people from a particular country, we add �s� to nationalities ending in �-i � or �-(i)an, but we need the definite article (the) for most others.

Brazilians/ Russians are...
Thais/ Israelis are...

The British/ The French are...
The Swiss/ The Japanese are... 

With both groups we can also use the word �people �, e.g., Brazilian people, British people, etc. 

/The source: English Vocabulary in Use by Stuart Redman, Cambridge, printed in 2016/

12 Oct 2018     

Aisha77
Spain

I still have doubts as I go on finding forums like this one  https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/the-german-people-the-germans.2939368/ where they say "Germans are famous for being friendly" is correct. This is said by someone from Oregon (USA)...and he addes this is for people concerned in good writting. I am getting mad! ... LOL. The British member on this post also underlines the answer saying that depending on what you want to say....

Thanx for the answer, I hope some other people answer too so I get a deeper view of all this... 

13 Oct 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hey Aisha! Don �t take a rude pm to heart! The vast majority of us on here support and help each other. I once had a pm from a member, telling me that from my posts, I was obviously a nasty person!!!! I am quite nice, most of the time, but  - how could she possibly know? In any applecart, there will be at least one bad apple. My advice is to ignore this. 
As a native speaker, I know how to talk about nationalities, but I didn �t know the rule, so thank you Ruta and Les. 
Never leave this site! It �s the best!

Lynne  

13 Oct 2018     

Aisha77
Spain

OW! You made me cry!... Thanks so much! I love the site actually but it �s true since yesterday I am feeling really bad, however there are so great people here!!... That �s really true! 
Have a nice day �lynne�. 

13 Oct 2018     

jannabanna
France

Hi Aisha, 

I totally agree with Lynne, don �t take anything to heart and don �t reply to nasty PMs, it �s not worth it.  

Thanks to Kohai for passing on the rule!

Janet 

13 Oct 2018     

spinney
United Kingdom

Same here Aisha. Don �t let silly people put you off, especially if they don �t even know the rules themselves. Besides, even we natives can get it wrong sometimes and for people to get all nasty about it doesn �t make sense. Perhaps they were having a bad day. It �s always best to count to 10, and then ignore it completely. in cases such as these. Have a great weekend! (or puente, as is the case) Hug

13 Oct 2018     

elderberrywine
Germany

Grow up and cope with aggression, rudeness and the fact that there are not only saints out there - without whining publicly.
Sorry for being so blunt. I don �t seem to be able to express it any other way.

13 Oct 2018     

yanogator
United States

Kohai gave the rule so succinctly! That makes it really easy both to remember and to teach. Thanks for that.

Bruce 

13 Oct 2018     

Aisha77
Spain

Thanks so much Kohai, I get it well... I understand everything now,LOL. I read it again, and as I believed it was right as german ends in �an �. Thanks too to everybody and to elderberrywine, as he or she says it was stupid to post the problem. It�s right,I should have just ask instead of posting the problem itself, I did it cause I am really sensitive and I felt literally a knot in my throat, but however I should have kept it for myself. 
thanks again.

13 Oct 2018     

heikeo53
Mexico

Dear Aisha,
unfortunately there are quite a few "bad apples " on this web site (I had several  unpleasant  experiences myself), so I know exactly how you feel . It �s very hard to ignore rude comments. I personally don �t agree with elderberrywine. 
 "Respect other people �s feelings. It might mean nothing to you, but it could mean everything to them."

13 Oct 2018     

1    2    Next >