Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Just for Spanish teachers    

Just for Spanish teachers

curk
Spain

Just for Spanish teachers

I�ve got a question about a grammar structure and I�m not sure.

How would you translate this sentence into English? " Conduce con cuidado no sea que tengas un accidente"

15 Apr 2019      

Antonio Oliver
Spain

Hi,
You could use the old word lest,
Drive carefully lest you have an accident
or go for a simple connector,
Drive carefully or you may have an accident
Hope that helped 

15 Apr 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Those are perfect, and you could also say: Drive carefully before you have an accident.
Aisha :) 

16 Apr 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

All the rest are fine, given that it�s that old chestnut, the subjunctive. As it sounds quite formal, I would go with "lest," too. But it really is very formal. In everyday spoken English, it�s probably better to say "Drive carefully in case you have an accident." 

16 Apr 2019     

jannabanna
France

Or change it completely with:  Drive carefully in order to avoid accidents.  Just a thought.

16 Apr 2019     

yanogator
United States

My Spanish is very rusty, but I think the closest to a literal translation would be "Drive carefully, so as not to have an accident". (It seems that the literal translation would be "Drive carefully, that it not be that you have an accident", which sounds pleasantly Elizabethan to me.    

Bruce 

16 Apr 2019     

Engteachar
Argentina

Could it also be possible to say: Drive carefully, otherwise you�ll have an accident.

16 Apr 2019     

curk
Spain

Thank you to all of you

17 Apr 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Bruce!!! I love your translation!!!
If we would translate it literally I believe it would be like:   
Conduce (tú) con cuidado, no sea (ello = suject) que tengas (tú = subject) un accidente... 
Drive carefully it weren�t that you had an accident (as there are two subjunctives in the sentence)... How does it sound to you, Bruce??  
Crazy!!! 

17 Apr 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Drive carefully, so you don�t have an accident. 

17 Apr 2019     

yanogator
United States

No, Aisha, that isn�t correct English. That�s why my "literal" translation couldn�t be completely word-by-word, and had to bypass the Spanish double subjunctive. I just realized that "that it not be that you would have an accident" would be closer to the Spanish, and still correct, using the English conditional for the Spanish subjunctive.

Bruce 

17 Apr 2019     

1    2    Next >